Chapter 67

The next morning, Noelle and Nick woke early, eager to be out of Everglades and back to their home away from home.  They both dressed, then headed down for a quick breakfast and to say goodbye.  The dining room wasn't very full, and Noelle had a feeling most of the pack were sleeping in due to the late night party and all of the drinking.  

Alex was there though, seated up at the head table, along with his Beta, Sebastian and his Gamma. Noelle wondered where his wife was. She was surprised the woman wasn't parading around the fact that she'd won. Or at least she thought she'd won. Noelle didn't care. She had Nick, and she adored him. Evangelina had a husband who was not her mate, and hadn't even marked her, or at least hadn't as of two weeks ago. She hadn't seen a mark on him yesterday.  

He looked up at her now sadly, and she had a feeling he was completely regretting his decision of getting married to a woman who wasn't his mate. For not waiting. But even then, she wasn't sure that she could have accepted him anyway. Maybe if they had met earlier, when he was younger. 

And she would have never had Nick. She glanced at her mate. She realized right then and there, she wouldn't change it for anything. She'd always liked Nick, and had become very attracted to him even before Alex. He was a good man, and probably the best choice for her mate.  If only he'd been her first mate. But oh well. Alex had been a learning experience for her.

She settled down in the seat between Alex and Nick, finding it ironic that they were on either side of her. Alex seemed calm this morning, much more so than last night. She heard him breath out, and knew he could smell Nick on her. She was actually surprised Nick let her sit next to Alex.  

Sebastian and the Gamma both were at breakfast as well, though the conversation was minimal.  

"What time are you flying back out?" Alex asked.

"After breakfast.  Our plane is waiting on us. Also, I probably will not be your liaison after today.  I wasn't even supposed to come this time, but given the situations in Northumbria, Mercia and Salt Flats, it hasn't happened yet," Nick told him.

Alex nodded.  "Can I ask what's going on?" 

"Northumbria and Mercia have been at odds for hundreds of years, and within less than twenty-four hours of signing a peace treaty, Mercia attacked. Both Alphas are dead. Salt Flats..." his gaze flicked to Noelle.  

"I took out the Alpha of Salt Flats," she said, not looking at either one of them.  

Nick watched Alex's eyebrows shoot up in shock. "You?" He looked at Nick. "You let her?"

Nick snorted. "Let her? Like I'd be able to stop her."

"Why was he taken out?" Alex asked, his gaze now on Noelle.

"He was running a breeding program in his pack. Giving his friends free rein to rape women," she muttered, not looking at him, her body stiff.

Nick placed a hand on her thigh, and she relaxed.

Alex looked at Nick with a frown. "And Sierra Nevada?"

"Their Alpha went up to Redwood Pack and slaughtered them all. Redwood has been dissolved," Nick said quietly.  

Alex's mouth dropped open. "Good grief.  You all are busy. Noelle told me her mother is pregnant too, so I'm sure the King isn't wanting to leave her side much."

"She's due very soon. He won't leave her unless it's absolutely necessary," Noelle said, her gaze moving to Alex.  

He studied her for a moment, then glanced at Nick and sighed.