Chapter 44

"Nick, good to see you," Alpha Arthur exclaimed as they entered the room. "Thank you for coming to oversee the treaty signing." He bowed his head. "And who is this lovely young lady? Don't tell me you've finally found your mate?"

"It's good to see you too, Alpha Arthur. Luna Amelia, you look lovely as always," he smiled at her, then put a hand on Noelle's lower back. "And yes, this is my mate, Noelle Remington."

Alpha Arthur's mouth dropped open, then closed again. "Princess." He bowed his head. Amelia bowed her's as well.

"It's nice to meet you," Noelle smiled at them both.

"Well, this is impressive, Alpha Elias, having the Princess attending our treaty signing," Arthur said, turning to Elias.

Noelle rolled her eyes internally. Like Alpha Elias had arranged this. The only reason she was here was because she didn't want to be apart from Nick. But whatever. Some things weren't worth it. She looked at Nick.

These Alphas like to pat themselves on the back, he linked her.

I've noticed.

They moved outside to where the treaty signing was happening, and the ceremony began. Noelle was seated next to Nick on the makeshift stage. Both Alphas spoke and both of them droned on and on. Noelle began to wonder if they were competing to see who could speak the longest.

Finally, they both signed the treaty, and then turned to look at Noelle and Nick, waiting for Nick to add his signature.

"Go. You sign it," Nick whispered to her.

Noelle stood and stepped forward. Both Alphas bowed their heads to her.

"A great honor it is to have Princess Noelle Remington with us on this auspicious occasion. Her signature will grace our historic treaty," Alpha Elias announced.

The audience cheered for her and she smiled at them, then leaned down to sign her name. They cheered even harder.

Finally, it was over and the celebration began. Noelle settled down at a table with Nick. She was over it all and ready to go home. When are we going home?

In the morning. We have to stay for this. It would look bad if we ducked out.

Oh I know.

The meal was served, and the alcohol flowed. Random people came up and spoke to them, and Noelle did her best to make polite conversation.

The party carried on into the night, and finally Nick leaned over. "Let's get out of here."

She nodded and stood and followed him back to the pack house. They slipped inside and back up to their room. Noelle breathed a small sigh of relief when they were alone. "I need a shower."

"I can agree with that. Go ahead first," Nick said.

Noelle grabbed her bag and disappeared into the bathroom. She was so ready to go home. She was also exhausted, even though she hadn't done much. Funny how that worked. She showered quickly and walked back out.

Nick had stripped off his jacket and shirt. He headed into the bathroom, and Noelle  crawled into the bed.

Nick took his time in the shower. He was as over this trip as Noelle was and beyond ready to go home. He got out and dried off, then slipped on his boxers before heading back out to the bedroom. Noelle was asleep and he smiled, not surprised. He'd watched her stifle more than one yawn. He crawled into bed next to her and pulled her into his arms, snuggling up against her.

***

Noelle breathed a small sigh of relief as the plane took off the next morning.

Nick sat next to her, looking through his emails. "Glad to be going home?"