Chapter 18

Noelle pulled the mask off as she walked. Her feet were aching a bit from the stilletos and she couldn't wait to get back to her dorm so she could get them off, along with the dress. She'd need to text Nick and let him know she'd be home tomorrow for the meeting, and then Mike to come pick her up.

She planned to crawl in bed with a romance novel. After the day she'd had, she needed a distraction, and given that she hadn't found her mate, she'd get her romance kick out of the book. Though she'd probably had enough romance for the day. It had been rather exhausting.

Two men in one day, both of them so very different. And neither one her mate. Maybe she just needed to swear off men completely for awhile. Unless she found her mate.

When she was halfway back to her building, a scent caught her attention, drifting under her nose and calling to her wolf.

'Mate,' Holly whispered in her mind, exciting Noelle.

He was there tonight, just not at the ball, and she wondered why he hadn't attended. What if he wasn't looking for his mate? She debated for a second, feeling conflicted, but then shook her head. Too bad. He was hers.

She breathed in his scent deeply and stopped, turning in the direction it was coming from. She scented the air, and followed it towards a different building, breathing it in. Holly was on high alert, coming fully awake in her mind as they searched for her mate.

She stopped in front of the building and noticed a black limo parked in front of it. Three werewolves stood around waiting, dressed in all back. Security detail, she thought, though none of them were the one who the scent was coming from. Of that she was sure. No, it wasn't very strong and he was either inside the building or the car.

They noticed her immediately, and two of them stepped in front of her, blocking her from approaching the car or the building. She glanced up at it. Dorms, she realized.

"Where do you think you're going?" One of them asked, his arms crossed as he looked her over. "You can't come through here right now."

"I.." She stopped when the scent grew stronger, her train of thought cut off by the intoxicating smell, and glanced around them to see a man walk out of the building, followed by a young woman and another guard.

The woman had her arms crossed and followed the man down the steps, looking perturbed. "Why, Alex?" she shouted after him with a huff.

"Because.." He stopped, and his head snapped in her direction. He turned and walked over towards her. "Move," he said, pushing the two guards that were blocking her from him out of his way.

"Alpha," one of them protested, but he ignored them, stopping in front of her.

Noelle lifted her gaze up to his and heard the word she'd been longing for all night. Mate! Her world tilted on its axis as she stared up at him and saw his nostrils flare as he stared back at her.

His hair was black, his eyes a blue that were glowing brightly as they studied her. His nose was a bit crooked, and his eyebrows darkly contrasted against his pale skin. He was quite a bit taller than her five foot two height, something Noelle had acquired from her mother. He had a typical werewolf physique, broad shoulders and heavy muscles. Her mouth watered as she looked him over. Her mate was quite handsome.

"What's your name, Little Mate?" he asked.

Her lips parted as the sound of his voice caressed over her skin. "Noelle."

"Beautiful name for a beautiful woman. I'm Alexander Artino, Alpha of the Everglades Pack. It's a pleasure to meet you, Little Mate," he introduced himself.