Chapter 43

Nick wandered slowly up the stairs of the pack house later that night. He was much more wasted than he had been last night. He usually didn't drink much, but when he came to this pack, it inevitably happened every time.

He opened the door to the bedroom, eager to crawl in bed with Noelle. He thought about waking her up. He wanted to mate and mark her so badly; it was a constant thought in his mind, but it was very late and he didn't want to do that here. But maybe they could make out.

He approached the bed to look down at her as he pulled off his shirt. She wasn't there. He frowned. "Elias," he muttered. No, he was still in the hospital. He couldn't imagine Noelle would do that to him anyway. He tossed his shirt off to the side.

Nick wracked his foggy brain, trying to think of where she might be. The bathroom. She said she wanted to take a bath, but she wouldn't still be in there, would she? That was several hours ago.

'Check,' Luke prompted him.

He walked over to the bathroom and opened the door. Her scent was much stronger in here, and he breathed a small sigh of relief. He walked inside, noticing the candles that were lit, though the lights were out. They'd been burning for awhile.

Noelle was in the tub, sound asleep, her head resting back against a pillow. If it had been a bubble bath, it wasn't now. He could plainly see her in the water, and he stood there for a moment letting his eyes travel over her naked body before guilt hit him.

Mate or not, he had no right to look at her like this without her permission. It would be one thing if he had seen her naked before and knew her body intimately, but he hadn't. Not yet.

He knelt down next to the tub and reached a hand in to pull the drain. The water was ice cold. He frowned.

Noelle's book was floating on the surface and he grabbed it, committing the title to memory. He'd buy her another copy later. He tossed the water logged thing in the sink. 

He grabbed a towel for her and draped it over her once the tub was empty. "Noelle," he said softly, shaking her.

She started shivering. "Nick?" Her voice was soft with sleep still.

"You fell asleep in the tub," he murmured. He bent over the tub and lifted her out, shocked at how violently she was shaking. He wondered how long she'd been in there.

She clung to him as he dried her off, wrapping her legs around him. "I'm so cold." Her teeth chattered, and Nick tossed the wet towel off to the side.

He wrapped his arms around her and stood, then headed back out into the bedroom. Nick tried to lay her on the bed, but she wouldn't let him go. "Let me take my jeans off."

She buried her face in his neck. He smiled. He lifted her up a bit above his waist, and managed to undo his belt and his jeans. She squirmed a bit when he brushed against her bottom and thighs and made a soft sound.

"Sorry," he murmured. He stripped his jeans off quickly and sat down on the bed. "Unlock your legs or I'm going to crush them."

She did as he asked and he laid back, settling her over him. His gaze darted up to the mirror before he pulled the blankets up over them, and wrapped his arms around her.

"Why am I so cold?"

"I don't know how long you were in that tub. You'll warm up soon though," he said quietly. He was a little more sober now and very much aware that she was naked. He could feel her breasts pressed up against his chest and the warmth from between her thighs resting on his abs. He tried to think of anything else.

He rubbed her back, quickly at first, trying to warm her up, and then slowed down. Noelle finally stopped shivering, and he could tell that she'd fallen back asleep. He relaxed himself. She was wrapped around him like a monkey. He wasn't sure if he'd be able to sleep with her laying on him like this, but it wasn't long before he was out.