Chapter 26

She stared out at him from her wolf's eyes in complete and utter shock and her first inclination was to run. She wasn't ready for another mate so quickly. Her heart still ached from being dragged through the mud from her first one. But she wasn't in control, Holly was. And her wolf was very curious about this new mate. More so than she was.

She knew immediately that he was in her pack but at the moment she couldn't think of who he was. He wasn't someone who she'd seen in wolf form in the recent past. His scent was vaguely familiar but different too and called to her and her wolf, enticing her. She could already feel the new bond, and it scared her.

Did he know she'd found her mate and then she'd been rejected? Given that he was holding back and hadn't approached her, she guessed he did. Or maybe he didn't want to be mated to her. If he was in her pack, which she knew he was, he would know what all being mated to her entailed. But to be rejected twice in one day.. that would be a record, and cruel.

She could see it now in the history books. Noelle Remington, the only werewolf in history to be rejected twice in less than twenty-four hours. What a title. It was one she wouldn't wish on anyone, let alone herself. Why had she come out tonight? She should have just gone to bed. She was too emotionally exhausted to be on this roller coaster. She wanted off.

'Noelle, love,' Holly suddenly spoke up. 'You're freaking out for no reason. It's Luke.'

Noelle's eyes widened in shock. Luke? Nick. Nick was her mate? Nicholas Seely of all people was her mate? She couldn't wrap her head around it. Memories of the time she'd spent with him over the last few days, and the dream she'd had of him floated through her mind. She'd spoken to him on the phone earlier as well, but she'd had no idea. While it was possible she may have felt a bit drawn to him, she wouldn't know they were mates until their eyes met and their wolves confirmed it. She wasn't even sure that she would have picked up on it earlier. She'd been in emotional turmoil

He still hadn't approached her and she wondered if he was as shocked as she was. He had to be. His own mate had been right under his nose for over twenty years, and he wasn't even her first mate. She wondered if he'd even want her. The man had known her since she was just a few months old. It had to be weird.

Messing around with her was one thing, but having her as a mate was completely different. Most of her pack members found their mates outside of the pack. It was rare they were mated to another pack member. It wasn't that way with other packs, but it was with hers. She had no idea why, hadn't really thought about it. It hadn't surprised her at all when she'd turned eighteen and hadn't found her mate in her own pack.

Her mind was such a mess, and she hadn't taken her eyes off of Luke, who still hadn't moved. She could feel her heart breaking all over again. What if he didn't want her? That terrified her. She couldn't handle another rejection. She just couldn't. Not so soon. It would fully break her.

Noelle.

His voice sounded in her head, caressing over her like warm honey. When had it gotten so sexy? She'd always loved his accent, it was just something she found attractive. She reminded herself that she'd been attracted to him before, though not on this level. Not to this degree.

Nick? I.. She didn't even know what to say to him. What could she say? She'd had her heart ripped out and stomped on less than twelve hours ago, though she could already feel that the heartache had eased up, as a new bond formed.

Shhh. I know you need some time. I will wait until you're ready for this. For us. He said quietly in her mind.

I'm sorry. She knew he'd already waited so long for her. But she didn't want to go to him broken by another man. It wouldn't be fair to him.