Chapter 43

Castiel's p.o.v

Cas watched as Dean said goodbye to his brother, the tall oaf just glaring at Cas the whole time. Cas just smiled back at the man. He didn't expect him to like him. He just hoped he didn't get in the way of anything, especially Dean and his relationship. Cas kind of startled to that thought despite all their talking it was weird to think this was now something more. He expected to have a little fun with Dean, piss off his father, and then when he tired of Dean send him away to one of his houses until the three to five years was up. But now he didn't know what would happen, what their future held, the uncertainty of it all making him feel anxious.

"Just remember, I'm involved in this now too, I want updates on everything, and I will be there when you decide to make your move." Cas was broken from his thoughts by Sam staring at him and making demands. Cas didn't take well to demands.

"I'll decide what's appropriate for you to know and when to know it, Winchester." Cas said eerily, calmly, looking him over.

Sam gave a little laugh to this, "Oh don't say our name like it's trash, not when you'll gladly fuck a Winchester." He shot back at him.

Cas took a step towards Sam to this, Dean quickly stepping in between them. He gave Cas a look before turning to Sam. "Sammy, I appreciate you wanting to help me. I do. But this isn't really your fight. We'll tell you what you need to know when you need to know it."

Cas threw a smile at Sam over Dean's shoulder, the man just glaring at him. But he looked back to Dean and he nodded, "Fine." He said before looking back to Cas, "If I want to see my brother again do I need to put in a written request straight to you? Is there an application I need to fill out to see him for a weekend?"

"What?" Dean asked taken aback by Sam.

"Surprised you haven't already leashed him, again." Sam added.

Dean pinched at the bridge of his nose to this, "Christ Sammy. I thought you'd at least shut up about all of this."

Cas grabbed at Dean's hip, pulling him back into him, angling his mouth up to his ear, "Go to the car and wait on me."

Dean just looked between the two of them before nodding and grabbing up his bag and a few books he was taking with him. "Just don't fucking kill each other." He mumbled as he turned and walked out the door.

Cas waited until the door clicked shut behind Dean, Sam still glaring at him. "Say what you want to say Samuel."

Sam glared at him, "I think Dean needs to stay here with me. Or better yet we will go somewhere else, give him some space away from you."

Cas raised a brow to this, "And where will you go Samuel? The house that both the cops and the Styne's are watching that your father was murdered at? Or the house where your brothers blood is dried on the stones out front from where he almost killed himself?" Cas asked these questions casually, refusing to get emotional and hyped up like Sam was.

Sam shut his eyes as his chest rose and fell, trying to calm himself, "We have other properties we can go to."

"That the Styne's no doubt have a full ledger of now that Dean is with me. Now that they know I took out their top ally at your fucking house." Cas said back, still with an even tone even though his patience was running thin.

Sam stepped up to him and Cas didn't even flinch, not caring about their considerable height difference, he looked up to the man. "I don't know what you're fucking doing with him. But you're taking advantage of his trauma and it's not fucking right. And he'll see it one day and I'll be there to knock you down a few pegs once he does."

Cas just kept looking at him, "Enjoy my hospitality Sam. Because if you don't open your eyes and see that Dean is making his own choices here, and you keep pushing him on this you're going to lose him again. And if you hold no place in his life then I won't care about the safety of yours and will turn you out with nothing but the clothes on your back." With that Cas turned and left, Sam smartly choosing not to follow after him.

Dean was leaned against the car waiting just as Cas had asked him to. Cas gave him a smile and opened the door for him motioning for him to get in first. Dean slid into the car and watched as Cas got in after him, the driver quickly pulling out of the driveway. "So are you two best friends now or what?" Dean said with a smirk.

Cas looked him over and smiled, he liked seeing more and more of what he thought was the real Dean peeping through. Maybe they were just trauma bonded, but he could see a change in Dean from the man who stood before him months ago scared shitless and constantly tapping his fingers with anxiety. Now he was a little sarcastic, a little funny, and he saw how big his heart was. Cas looked to the collar on his neck, the one he'd put on him the first night he'd met him. He'd literally bought it from a petstore just to piss off John Winchester. He'd told himself he'd buy Dean a nice one after they got rid of their mutual enemy, but fuck waiting now.

He spoke up to the driver, giving him a new address to take them to, "Wait, where are we going?" Dean asked as the car changed direction.

"You'll see when we get there, puppy." Cas said with a grin.