Almost but Not Close::Chapter 5

Bri's POV

"No way!"

I'm sprawled across my bed, reading Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I just reached the big betrayal and I'm literally fuming.

"You have got to be kidding me!" I shriek.

"No no no no no-"

"Bryn?" A worried voice shouts through the door.
Breaking my Fangirl moment I turn, and see Stiles burst through my door his eyes wide. I laugh as he looks at me with concern.

"No its just a book," I gasp in between breaths.
A look of relief passes as he steps into the book themed room.

"You scared me," he mumbels.

All of a sudden my stomach swarms with butterflies. Ignoring the feeling and smiling I get up and take a step closer to him.

"Well Stillinski you don't have to worry about me, ever" I whisper back.

He takes one more long stride and now there's only a foot or so between us. The air closes in on me and my breathing becomes shorter. I feel the heat radiate from him and into me.  Taking a few steps back I turn my eyes away and bite my bottom lip nervously.

"Everything okay? Stiles we have a lacrosse game," Scott enters my room and his eyes flicker between me and Stiles.

Taking a deep breath I look up and smile.

"Good luck on the bleachers boys," I say mockingly.

Scott rolls his eyes, " I'm playing today," he says slightly defiant.

Folding my arms tauntingly I smirk.

"Whatever you say bro,"
Stiles coughs slightly and awkwardly.

Our attention turns and he opens his mouth to say something and closes it again, looking like a desperate fish.

Sick of the tension, I cut in.

"Spill it Stillinski," I demand.

A look annoyance flutters across his face but he looks up at both of us and starts talking anyway.

"Scott can I see that bite from yesterday?" He asks like a little boy, excitedly. Confused I watch on as Scott lifts his shirt up and reveal a gauze. Stiles opens his mouth excitedly but the door swings open for the third time and my mom peeks in.

"Hey boys I can drive you- Scott what the hell is that?" She exclaims. Cringing I think back at the night where it all started.

*FlashBack*

The window is wide open and the wind of the night blows through it making the curtains dance.

My brother sits at the foot of his messy bed and tinkers around on his never used lacrosse net. I'm sprawled on the ground, reading a book smiling and Fangirling on the inside.

"Brianna can you put the book down for a second and help me clean before Mom gets home?" Scott asks over the blaring music.

Scowling I put the book down and look up at my shaggy haired brother.

"Just cause you interrupted me, nuh uh," I tease folding my arms and standing up. He smirks and starts in a threatening voice.

"Bryn if you don't help I'm going to have to unleash my powers on you." The irony of these words are too much to bear later on in my life. My eyes widen comically and I gasp.

"You wouldn't," I whisper. He smirks wider and steps closer.

"Oh yes I would," he retorts. Running towards me he grabs me by my waist and lifts me up in the air almost touching the low ceiling.

I squeal like a girl and thrash around in my brother's arms. I'm terrified of any type of height.

"Let me down!" I scream and laugh all at the same time. Chuckling at my girly side Scott puts me down on the carpeted floor.

Before I can surrender to cleaning a loud crash echoes through the house.
Now my eyes widen in fear and I stand up and look at Scott. Quietly and quickly Scott reaches for a lone baseball bat from the corner.

No one even plays baseball in this house, I think ridiculously.
Scott beckons me to follow and we tip toe through the halls. Another bang makes both of us jump back and Scott reaches for my hand protectively. The logistic part of me points that the sound cane from the porch, but the wimpy side of me tells me to go back to Scott's room and curl up in a pathetic ball. Breathing in deeply Scott leads me out through the front door. Holding the bat up high, he let's go of my hand and grips the bat with both of his hands.

In a split second a body hangs from the ceiling and scream a high pitched and fall on my butt. Scott screams and the figure shouts and my fear bubbles into amusment. I would know that voice anywhere.

"Stiles what the hell!" Scott yells exasperatedly.

"You weren't answering your phone!" Stiles explains desperately.

"Why do you have a bat?!" Stiles yells back.

A look of shame and relief flutters across his face.

"I thought you were a predator!" He exclaims and I stifle a laugh.

"A pre- psh" Stiles says, flabbergasted.

Brushing the wood chips off my leggings, I stand with a smile in my face. Stiles, still dangling from his feet looks and me and even through the dark I see his cheeks flush red.