Stand Tall,, FORTY TWO

WRONG VIBE

THIRD PERSON'S POV

THIRD PERSON'S POV

A month into the three-month summer break, the moon gives off a soft glow on the school and Willa as she looks up from her new phone.

Pushing her body weight off the post of Seabrook High, Willa turns her head after hearing footsteps and the clearing of someone's throat to get her attention.

The werewolf's lips curled upwards into a small smile when her eyes landed on River Noelle.

"Hey. You came?" Willa's voice filled with slight surprise. "I mean, it is a date" Rio replied, attempting to be nonchalant. "Yeah. Yeah, of course" Willa mumbled and walked up closer to her girlfriend. "I just thought after the whole thing... It would be weird, and you'd just back out" Willa confessed. Rio stiffly nodded and hummed, placing her hands in her Adidas tracksuit pockets.

"Well, I didn't" River says.

"And It's only weird if you make it weird" She added, her gaze meeting Willa's.

"Yeah..." Willa sighed.

Flashback Last weekend

"Whoa" River's eyes widened as she held the end of her girlfriend's shirt.

Taking notice of the action, Willa tilts her head and looks down at Rio. "Whoa, what?" Willa questioned, confused as she searched for an answer in Rio's eyes. "River, what is it?" She pressed, a light laugh escaping her voice through her concerned features. "Did I pick up the wrong vibe?" Willa asked.

No response.

River's silence worried Willa more than anything else at the moment. "Because I just assumed that downstairs we were feeling the same energy..." Willa began. "'Cause that makeout was everything" She reminisced on the shared kiss downstairs after their movie night. "And- and now we're up here but then you stopped me from taking off my shirt?" The older girl finished.

"Did I assume wrong? It- it was wrong of me to assume that, right?" Willa panicked.

River finally looks at Willa as the werewolf who took up the free space next to her on the queen-sized bed.

"Hey, I'm right here. What's up?" Willa's small smile warmed River's heart. River's smile disappeared as soon as it showed. "Nothing. Can we continue?" River suggested, attempting to move past the awkward moment. She lifts up her right leg and moves closer to straddle Willa.

Rio's arms wrapped around Willa's neck before kissing her. "Riv— River," Willa started, but she hummed once River kissed on her neck. "B-baby, stop. Stop" Willa insisted, pushing Rio away by the chest enough to look at her. "What?" River asked in annoyance. "Are we going too fast or something?" Willa questioned.

River's lips pouted as she thought about it for a moment before responding. "No, perfect speed" Rio gave her a tight lip smile whilst shaking her head. She goes in for another kiss but Willa stops her from doing so. "Riv, I'm serious" Willa said. She didn't want River to feel like she was being forced into something that she didn't want or just wasn't ready for.

"And so am I! Can we just continue with what we were doing?" River asked, growing frustrated.

Willa studies Rio's expressions and licks her lips. "Look, if you don't wanna do it with me, it's fine" Rio snaps, removing herself from Willa's lap and onto her bed. Her body weight dips onto the other side of the bed, away from Willa and she brings her knees to her chest. Willa pulls her eyebrows together and scoffs.

"That's not what I—".

"Whatever, Willa" River mumbled. "Babe" Willa turned her head back to look at Rio but only to see that her girlfriend's back was towards her. Sighing, Willa scoots back a bit and rests her forearm on the bed, leaning forward to touch River. Willa stopped her actions when River spoke again; "Can you leave?".

"Please?" The soft, quiet, accent still lingers as the Barbadian girl's room falls completely silent.