Stand Tall,, FORTY SIX

ANSWERS INSTEAD OF EXCUSES

➥ ANSWERS INSTEAD OF EXCUSES

THIRD PERSON'S POV

As Willa and River sat across from each other in the dimly lit diner during their cute date, Willa wiped her hands nervously with her napkin.

Her gaze flickered around the room as if searching for an escape.

River, sensing her uneasiness, leaned forward and licked her lips. "You good?" She asked, taking the wolf out of her head. "Hmm? What-? Yeah" Willa nodded and gave her a fake smile. "You're acting weird" Rio sat back in the booth and tilted her head, her gaze never leaving Willa's. "What's up?" She probed. Willa, tempted to pull away from her girlfriend's heavy gaze, clears her throat and gulps.

River's lips left the straw of their shared strawberry milkshake, and she wiped the liquid from her bottom lip with the back of her hand before leaning in closer to Willa.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"We ate all these Tater Tots in less than a minute, and I just down the last of this milkshake" River joked, trying to lighten the mood from Willa's sudden awkwardness. "Oh, wait! There's an arcade not far from here, we can go there!" The Barbadian teen remembered and her eyes lit up along with her smile. River looked up at a zoned-out Willa and rolled her eyes.

"Willa?" River says in a gentle but firm voice, trying to pull Willa's attention back to her.

"Are you listening?" She pressed, her concern deepening knowing that the girl wasn't. Willa's mind was racing. She was torn between the urge to distract herself with other thoughts and the weight of the secret she was carrying for a while.

River lets out a fake gasp and grabs her phone, tapping the screen so it can light up; "My mom just texted and told me to break up with you!".

Willa's eyes widen in disbelief and grabs the phone out of panic; "What?! I just made her laugh when we left the house!".

"There's nothing on here" Willa studied Rio's home screen with their picture on it and found zero notifications from her mom.

"Got your attention now?" River raised a brow as she held out her hand for her phone. "Don't do that" Willa exhaled, feeling relief after the hurt panic her girlfriend had caused. "Then listen to me" Rio replied. Willa mouthed an "okay" and watched as River reached out to take her hand. Her gaze softened on River as she squeezed her hand gently.

"Are you okay?" River asked, concerned.

"Have you talked to Karma?"
Willa shifted uncomfortably in her seat, her mind racing as she debated how much to reveal. "Okay. That's, like, the sixth time you asked that today" Rio says. "Why are you so invested in talking about my sister on our date?" She questions with crossed arms, annoyed. "I'm not... It's just... You know what? Forget about it" Willa backed down, though her girlfriend wasn't.