Death of An Executioner

POV: Adam

After Lucifer's call, I sat there staring at my phone. I was scared...all my bravado and ego melting away. I sat on my bed and hunched over, my wings coming around as I curled up on myself. It was some time I sat like that, since the morning came rather fast. Suddenly, there were heavy knocks on the door, sounding urgent. I sighed and made my way to the door. There stood Emily, Sera's younger sister. "Em? What-?" I began to question but she suddenly shoved me inside and looked frantically up at me. "Adam! You need to get outta here!" I blinked at her confused. "Lute told Sera and I about what happened yesterday, Sera made Lute the new leader and there's executioners all over the promenade looking for you!" She explained, rushed and worried. "Wait? As in they want to take me out?" I shook my head.

"YES! I managed to slip away to warn you first, this trial is not going to be what you think it is!" She grabbed onto my robe and she looked genuinely upset. Fuck...this isn't going to end well at all... "Emily, It'll be okay..." I instinctively put a hand on her head. "Sera is bringing Ace up to the meeting..." she hiccuped. Wait why would she....unless she planned to...

"HEY! THERE HE IS!" An executioner yelled from down the hall. FUCK I forgot to shut the door when Emily came in. "No! This isn't fair! Don't take him!" Emily screamed out and stood in front of me. Why was she protecting me?...Unless she was really close with Ace...was asked to find and warn me... "Emily...It's okay..." I forced a smile at her and stepped forward. One of the angels grabbed him by the arm, another one leading him out of his place, Emily looking on, tear stains on her cheeks. I was shoved down the promenade, all angels looking at me in shame and disgust. I kept my head down, my mask luckily still on but still cracked from the fight last night.

They continued to shove me more until we got to the court room, all the council angels in their designated booths. I grit my teeth and spotted Lute, she looked menacing to say the least. Sera watched from the top box, Emily hiding her face next to her. I heard footsteps and turned around, there Ace was taking the spot next to me at the table. I was let go by the angels holding him and returned to Lute's side. "I never thought things would turn out this way" Sera said putting her arms behind her shaking her head.

"Adam, do you KNOW how much trouble you've caused to heaven?" Sera asked and I bit my tongue and sighed. "No please enlighten me Sera..." "Well let's just start on your apparent weakness and willingness to sin so easily with the fallen" she said pointedly. "Like figuring out most of my life has been lies on lies?" I barked back. "You are blinded by sin!" She claimed and whispers started. "Not to mention your blasphemous relationships!" Lute chimed in, she took a step forward. "And YOU!" She pointed to Ace. "Sera please...just fucking do it already" Ace looked up at her. Gasps and whispering continued. "You 'claim' to want to protect Heaven? Sorry to say you're running it into the fucking ground. Cause these executions are going to stop" Ace said confidently. I glanced at him then back at Sera.

Sera laughed and leaned over the box. "Oh? And what makes you believe that? You're bound by contract remember?" "Oh that old ass thing? Yeah well the deals off sweetie" Ace crossed his arms. Small arguments came from the council. "Well then you know what that entails...Adam will get the harshest punishment available." My hands shook slightly, unsure of what that meant. If it wasn't for Ace being there... "I assumed you had me here to cast me down officially?"

"Not even close" Lute had a wicked smile on her face and suddenly I was being held again, more aggressively than before, the angels tossing me to the ground on my knees. I looked up at the council, terror clear over my mask. "I wanted to see you break.." she laughed walking over to me and grabbed a horn of my mask, ripping my helmet off. Everyone watched in silence, only noise being Emily's soft crying. Ace gripped the table and looked up at Sera, hate in his eyes. "What the fuck is this?!" His voice strained. I looked back at Lute, my face exposed now and glared.