Secret Garden

POV: Adam

My injuries healed fairly quickly as the week progressed. Lucifer locked himself in his workshop as his kid rebuilt her hotel, which was a bigger and better one at that. I was pretty impressed by it myself. I tried to reach out to Lucifer, it hurt, I won't deny that but I understood it. Ace was still in a coma like state. He was in good hands so I didn't worry too much but fuck I missed his voice...I missed Lucifer's too...It was like I was all alone again in the fucking garden. I winced as I got dressed in the bathroom. My arms covered in lighter bandages, my body pretty much covered in scars now.

I stared in the mirror and sighed. I was wearing one of Ace's hoodies, we wore the same size in most clothing. A pair of jeans and just some socks. Bags shown hard under my eyes, my hair a damn mess, could never fuckin sit right when I tried to style it. I washed my face with some water and dried it with a washcloth. I looked back up in my reflection. Why am I always the one alone? Well...Lucifer probably was but...he was mentally going through stuff and didn't want my overbearing...and Ace was well...pretty much dead to the world...wait..no...don't say shit like that...

Finishing up in the bathroom, I walked to grab my guitar and headed to the infirmary as usual. I knocked lightly, the door opening and one of the nice nurse imps nodded for me to come in. I smiled a little and walked up to the bed Ace was in. The imps did their job great, taking care of him in terms of hygiene and changing his clothes daily. I sat on the end of the bed crisscrossed applesauce and placed the guitar in my lap. I came in here everyday to sing to him, with any shred of hope he could hear me. I took a small breath and began to sing softly, the sound filling the room.

~"He said:
Oh Mary, contrary how does your garden grow?
Come with me, and you'll be the seventh maid in a row
My answer was laughter, soft as I lowered my head
You're too late, I'm afraid this flower's already dead" ~

I played glancing up at Ace here and there, searching for any movement as I continued to sing.

~"Resetting as I was with blossoms in full bloom
Never a chance to pause with magic to consume
A shadow walked behind me offering his hand,
But couldn't understand"~

The nurse imps watched longingly as I played to him. My lip trembled a little, emotions bubbling up.

~"He said:
Oh Mary, contrary how does your garden grow?
Come with me, and you'll be the seventh maid in a row
My answer was laughter soft as I lowered my head
You're too late, I'm afraid this flower's already dead"~

I didn't realize I was crying, I was determined to finish the song. I didn't even pick up on the extra audience lingering in the doorway.

~"Scattering petals down the road without an end
Left on the battleground for one I called my friend
Maybe he loved me as he took me by the hand?
And tried to understand"~

Letting out a small hiccup, I pushed myself to play. Finish the song for him damn it! I inhaled sharply looking at Ace's face, it holding no expression but sleep. My heart aching in my chest.

~"I said:
Oh Mary, contrary how does your garden grow?
Stay with me, I can't see anywhere that we could go
Their answer was laughter as darkness swallowed them up
One more time. I'll be fine, sometimes kindness is enough"~

I never heard the footsteps come from behind me, arms wrapping around my neck gently. I let out a small sob my fingers still playing my guitar. "I'll help you finish it..." Lucifer whispered in my ear, leaning his face against mine, tears still falling and nods as we both finished the song together.

~"Oh Mary, contrary how does your garden grow?
Don't leave me, please don't be the seventh maid in a row
My answer, a whisper soft as he lowered his head
Set him free. I'm sorry, this flower's already dead..."~

My fingers stopped and I dropped my head, emotions taking over me. Lucifer held me tighter and sighed. "Adam, I'm so sorry...I abandoned you again...I was being selfish...you were only offering me comfort and I pushed you away...I'm so fuckin sorry..." his voice wavered and buries his face in my shoulder. I kept crying, covering my face sitting there. We stayed like that for a while before Lucifer came around to face me. "You are a lot more stronger than I ever was, I could never kept coming...seeing Ace as his is and not feeling....so guilty...yet you came here everyday and sang to him....I've heard you..." his voice was rough and quiet. I smiled sadly and leaned in kissing him softly. Lucifer held my face pulling me in more, deepening the kiss.

We pulled back as we felt small movement from under the covers. Turning to look back at Ace, he was shifting, an expression of pain on his face. "Ace?...dear are you awake?" Lucifer got up and placed a hand on his cheek. A small whine escaped his lips and moved again. I took his hand in mine and caressed it, the pain expression softening. "Ace?" I murmured. "A...Addy" Ace managed to say. Lucifer smiled and placed a kiss on Ace's forehead. "Oh thank goodness..." Lucifer sighed relieved. I pulled his hand up to place a kiss on Ace's knuckles. "Take your time...we're here" I reassured him as he tried opening his eyes more.

Ace's eyes opened up slowly, blinking the blurriness from them. "Luci?...Adam? What...what happened?" His voice weak and quiet. I glanced at Lucifer, hoping he tells Ace the truth. Lucifer sighed and forced a smile. "We'll tell you when you wake up more, don't worry, you're safe and at home" Lucifer's voice gentle. Ace's eyes landed on me, clearly hoping I would spill. I winked at him with a tired smile. "Pinky promise babes" He just nodded and relaxed again, soon falling back to sleep. I got up and slung my guitar on my back. Both Lucifer and I placing kisses on Ace's cheek before leaving the room.

"You better tell him...everything" I crossed my arms following Lucifer back to his workshop. "I will...just...need to figure out my wording..." "Like what? About you taking the fuckin creep's deal?" I huffed and Lucifer glanced at me. "Yes...obviously" his voice a bit pointed but it quickly softened. We stopped at the door of the workshop. I muttered under my breath, "Can I join you or...?" Lucifer walked up to me taking my hand lightly. "Of course, I've missed your hundreds of questions, reminds me back of when you did in Eden" he chuckled lightly as a blush creeped across my cheeks. "Shuddup..." I pouted as he pulled me into the workshop.