Chapter 5

[Tae Myeongha's POV]

I gave Cha Yeowoon a towel, a pot full of boiled water, and even clothes to change into. After looking at my cramped room with just two blankets, I quietly slipped my feet into the room next door.

"Grandma, are you asleep?"

The worn-out floral blanket with patches rustled and the curly white hair resting on the pillow moved. It meant my grandmother wasn't asleep. I approached the blanket and sat down. The uncomfortable-looking bed rustled, with only her heading turning toward me.

"Nonsense. Why are you here, awake?"

"I'm waiting for the child I brought to wash up. I came here because I missed you, Grandma."

At my words, my grandmother suddenly sat up. The floral blanket fluttered and smacked my cheek.

"Did you eat something bad? Where did you get hit?"

This time, my grandmother's hand came down on my forehead. It wasn't just words, it was almost like a slap. The two hits made me stunned.

"Why do you keep hitting me?"

"You damn child. You have a fever, right? Myeongha, go to the hospital in the morning."

"What are you talking about? My body's naturally warm."

"Oh dear. How sick does someone have to be to say all this crap they've never said before in their life? When someone changes so suddenly, it means their days are numbered."

"Is it so strange that I miss my grandma?" I grumbled but didn't say more.

My grandmother and I were never the type to exchange such embarrassing words. Neither me nor her showed affection even if it killed us. I could say that we were two peas in a pod. I regretted it.

Even if it was embarrassing and awkward, I should have said something. I should have said thank you when I was grateful, yes when I was happy, and most importantly, said it to her instead of sitting at the funeral hall talking to myself.

"I missed you." As I grasped my grandmother's hand, which was still probing my forehead, I could feel her withered hand. It was warm.

If I, at 19, was a hot-blooded youth, my grandmother was the kind of person whose blood never had a day when it ran cold. She and I had frequently fought because of our short temper. Looking back, they all felt like good memories. At the time, it felt tough and exhausting. But just knowing that I was with someone who truly cared about me had made the memories beautiful.

"Anyway, I'm happy to be with you, Grandma."

Why don't you realize the importance of something until you lost them?

"Did you get possessed by a ghost..."

"Ah, I'm perfectly sane. Your grandson is fine."

I quickly pulled away when my grandmother also grabbed my hand, fearing she might drag me to a shaman house. She had even taken me to visit a taoist when I was in the midst of fighting with the other children in the neighborhood.

"I think the child has washed up. I'll go wash now."

Just as I heard footsteps coming inside, I straightened up and stood. I shouldn't overdo the sentimental moments. Too much could be awkward.

"Myeongha." My grandmother called out to me as I was about to leave. "Are you sure everything is okay?"

I couldn't help but smile when I heard her concerned voice.

Before closing the door, I gave her a quick wave to let her know I was fine.

Coming outside, I immediately ran into Cha Yeowoon who had a towel on his head. After a quick shower with cooling water, he looked slightly wet and radiant.