Chapter 47

[Tae Myeongha's POV]

"No. I was just going for a walk."

"Did you walked all the way here?"

Cha Yeowoon nodded blandly, offering no further explanation. He continued walking, and I matched his pace.

"I got paid today, do you want to grab some food..."

"Sunbae, have you ever tried drinking?"

Alcohol instead of food. An unexpected conversation came from Cha Yeowoon. Conveniently, there was a convenience store right next to us. Alcohol were prominently displayed at the entrance.

***

[Tae Myeongha's POV]

"Old-fashioned." Cha Yeowoon muttered as he received a can of sikhye.

"Underage drinking is illegal."

"Why isn't sunbae drinking sujeonggwa?"

"I wanted to try what you like."

While opening a can of sikhye identical to Cha Yeowoon's, I leaned back on my chair. We had settled at an outdoor table in front of the convenience store.

"Don't do something like that. It feels like my heart is going to burst." I said.

"Yeowoon, hearts don't burst easily." Cha Yeowoon faintly smiled.

I tore open a pack of jerky and chips I had left under the parasol and pushed them toward him. Even without alcohol, snacks had the power to uplift the mood. Snacks were legal, after all.

"What is it?"

"What?"

"Why were you spacing out? It's not like you're a zombie, staggering around."

"I got rejected by my first love."

"That's rough."

"I heard Cheon Sangwon also got rejected. Seems like you're popular among guys, sunbae."

"Okay. If I can't find a job after graduation, I might as well seduce and eat off some guy."

"You can eat off me. While it's already hot."

"Where can I find anything to eat off you? You might need to put on some weight."

Although it was a joke, Cha Yeowoon didn't laugh. He was less visibly distressed than before, but he was still down. The can of sikhye and snacks couldn't uplift him.

"Did you work part-time again today, sunbae? Should I quit everything and get a job too?"

"What nonsense are you saying?"

The situation turned serious, so I took it seriously. Cha Yeowoon quietly sipped his sikhye.

"Why? Is it because of money?"

"..."

"What's wrong?"

"I don't want to..."

What... There was no way to ask. Cha Yeowoon was adamant. The aluminum can crumbled in his grip.

"I don't want to look pitiful to you, sunbae."

"I don't think you're pitiful."

"I still don't like it."

"Hey."

"I can only do this much for you, sunbae." Cha Yeowoon took out a canned drink from his pocket. The can of sujeonggwa, guarding my desk every day, crossed the table and landed in front of me.