Chapter 38

[Tae Myeongha's POV]

Why did a 2 hour bus ride feel like an eternity? By chance, there happened to be two unoccupied seats on the subsequent bus, leading Cha Yeowoon and me to once again sit beside each other. Due to our early departure, we reached Jebudo before noon.

The closely spaced streetlights along the sea path, which were revealed as the seawater receded, were the first things I noticed. It seemed like the seawater was just barely undulating, but in fact, when the water levels rose, the sea path would be submerged.

"I read that the sea path opens only during low tide." Cha Yeowoon pointed excitedly at the shallow waves. "It should recede completely in about 30 minutes."

"How do you know?"

"I checked an infographic."

As a famous tourist spot where visitors could walk to the island, anyone could easily find an infographic detailing the times when the water would recede. In the past, I had waited for quite a while, not knowing the times.

"Have you been here before, sunbae?"

I had in the past. It wasn't for leisure, and it wasn't particularly pleasant either. But I felt like Cha Yeowoon would be disappointed if I answered like that.

"No. It's my first time."

I consoled my conscience that I wasn't lying because I had never come here when I was 19.

"I did some research to come with you today." Cha Yeowoon's ears were visibly red, even as he pretended to look out at the sea without replying.

Once I noticed, it couldn't have been more obvious. His emotions were laid bare. It made me feel awkward just watching.

"I read that there's a restaurant with delicious kal-guksu. I also did some research of my own."

"Kal-guksu is good. But isn't it clam kal-guksu? You don't like seafood."

"How did you know?"

How did I know? Because I read it in the novel. I avoided eye contact, feeling like I was a student who had cheated.

"I just a feeling. Uh, an impression you give off."

"I give the impression that I don't like seafood?"

"Since you prefer mountains over the sea, it seems like you wouldn't like seafood either."

As the lie flowed, I started blabbering and sat down. Cha Yeowoon was staring at me intently. Cold sweat trickled down my spine. If he insisted, I could double down.

"Sunbae, it feels like you know me too well sometimes. Should I say it's like I'm someone you used to know?"

True. I guess so. Since I really knew him.

"But this is my first time meeting someone like you, sunbae."

My conscience pricked at the poignant remark.

"I think we can go now! Let's go."

"But 30 minutes haven't pass already..."

"Why wait longer? It's enough to walk."

Transparent sea water surged right next to the sea path. There were very few people, so it felt as if it was just the two of us walking in the middle of the sea.

"Sunbae."

"Yeah?"

"I think I know why you like the sea." Cha Yeowoon quietly confessed as we walked. "I've come to like it too."