Chapter 21

[Tae Myeongha's POV]

"I can run that much."

"Sangwon, if you're not going to run, just shut up and watch." I said sharply, but there was no sign of Cheon Sangwon being discouraged. Instead, he let out a faint laugh as if he wanted me to hear it.

The coach, who was measuring the results, called out to Cha Yeowoon. Judging by the atmosphere, it didn't seem like a positive conversation. I felt like a parent wanting to be there for their child when they were sick. My legs trembled with impatience.

"Won't he get dropped from the starting position?"

"What do you mean?"

"Hyung, you call yourself a fan of Cha Yeowoon, but you didn't know? I was curious about how good he is, so I asked the guys who were practicing today. They said he hasn't been practicing properly the past few months and his results have been declining."

"Hey, that's..." I wanted to retort that it was because of his grandmother's illness and the funeral, but at the same time, I didn't want to bring it up carelessly. Especially in front of this guy.

"He's competing in place of Tak Jungyeong next Monday. I heard if he doesn't perform right, he might not be selected for the national competition."

"I guess you think that's funny."

"It's not funny at all, but it's fun to see your impression shifts whenever you talk about Cha Yeowoon."

"If you want to die, keep it up, Sangwon."

Against my threat, Cheon Sangwon smiled while showing his teeth as if he found it amusing. Seriously, this guy.

"Go watch your friends."

Tired of dealing with Cheon Sangwon, I relocated to a spot farther away. Cha Yeowoon, who was trudging back on the track, suddenly looked up in the direction of the stands. As if on cue, we locked eyes.

Cha Yeowoon's pale yellow eyes flickered as he looked at me. Despite our distance, his eyes were clearly visible. His light-colored irises, shining in the sunlight, appeared even paler. In their reflection, there was only me. The corners of his eyes twitched. For a moment, there was an illusion as if his pupils were shimmering with moisture. I felt like I had done something wrong. I had only come to cheer, but that was how it felt.

Cha Yeowoon never regained his composure even as practice ended. Although he had clearly seen me waiting for him, he receded as if he was running away. I spotted him across the schoolyard and managed to catch up with him.

"Yeowoon!"

Cha Yeowoon briskly walked away without even looking at me. It was my turn to run this time.

"Why have you been running away since this morning?"

He finally stopped when I grabbed his arm. "Did you see everything?"

"What..."

"Don't come to practice." Cha Yeowoon's words were sharp and clear.

"You are sick. You had a hard time. There are times when things don't work out."

"I don't want you to see." Cha Yeowoon turned his head to one side as if he didn't want to see me. The thin side of his face turned red. It was similar to the face I had seen when there was only a candle lit between us.

"I don't want to show you my shortcomings." Cha Yeoowon looked downcast as if confessing a shameful fact.

Not knowing how to soothe him, I pulled his arm tightly. I brought him in front of me as his feet scraped across the schoolyard. His red-stained face was now fully visible.