Chapter 33

[Tae Myeongha's POV]

"Sangwon, don't like me too much and just go to your class. You show too much interest in me, spreading rumors and whatever. No matter how you act, I have no interest in you."

"That's strange. If you are gay, you can't help but fall in love with me, huyng." Cheon Sangwon grabbed the desk and leaned his head towards me.

What is this guy saying now? I thought about denying it, but I held back. I didn't want it to sound like I was disgusted with the children in our class, and I felt like denying it was pointless. Anyway, there were already plenty of rumors about me. Like how I had fought seven to one in middle school, or how I was a mad dog that would beat you to death if you even glanced at me, or how I had run away from home and almost ended up in a juvenile detention center.

I had never been in a relationship with another man even by the age of 29. Nonetheless, I became more open minded after hearing from a hubae in the military who expressed his interest in men. I thought such relationships could naturally happen.

"I have no disadvantages over Cha Yeowoon. Looks, qualifications, physique."

"Personality."

"He has a shit personality too."

"Yeowoon is a bit rude, but you're just trash. Go away. Class is starting."

"I will. I'm going to join the track and field team and step on Cha Yeowoon."

It was a one-sided declaration. My head briefly didn't process what he was saying. Step on what?

"Come watch practice after class today." Cheon Sangwon cheerfully said and left the classroom.

Outside, a dusty wind blew and flipped the curtains. A coughing fit ensued. Holding my neck, I stared at the classroom door for a moment. Why was he always like this? That crazy debuff.

***

[Tae Myeongha's POV]

New Leaf High School's track and field team had its own tradition and prestige. Maybe. It was evident from the fact that Cha Yeowoon, a promising athlete since middle school, was able to enroll based on his athletic performance. A plaque with the achievements from the track and field team was on display in the school lobby.

So, I had hoped they wouldn't just let any mediocre 2nd year student apply for admission. And even if they did accept their application, they would probably make them watch or something. Similar to when a newcomer of a soccer team was assigned to collecting soccer balls. But Cheon Sangwon was standing there next to Cha Yeowoon.

"What's going on?" I sat down in the stands bewildered, staring at the incomprehensible scene.

Cha Yeowoon was a national track and field prospect. He was the pride of New Leaf's track and field team. But now, he seemed to be preparing for a race against a newcomer who had just joined the track and field team?

"I'm going to step on Cha Yeowoon." Cheon Sangwon's declaration had been irritatingly ringing in my head, prompting me to visit the schoolyard after school.

It was already like this when I arrived. It was a situation where Cha Yeowoon and Cheon Sangwon were about to have a one-on-one match.

"Does that even make sense?"

Cheon Sangwon suddenly waved his arm at me as if he heard me muttering. "Oh! Hyung Myeongha! You came to see me!"

Stop pretending to know me. Everyone was staring. Despite disrupting practice, no one said anything to Cheon Sangwon, who was acting as if he owned the place. Not even the teacher with the whistle reacted.