My sweet obsession

>>Corvina

"What?" Father and Hubert both looked at me with stern expressions, "Do you have anything against it?" Hubert, who already looked at me with indifference, his gaze turned colder.

I felt my head sting. It was a weird sensation, as if my brain was moving around looking for something I had missed. And it didn't take me any longer than two seconds to find out what is was.

Ah!

Right,

It did happen. A few weeks after I turned sixteen I got engaged to the third prince. Prince Lyal. An unknown prince of the empire, that was neither the crown prince, nor a public figure. He held no influence either, well not till the time he was with me.

I only met him a few times, during our meeting arranged by the elders.

"No," I shook my head, "I have no objections." I kept my gaze low,

"Good," Father nodded, "This is the least you can do for the family, you useless child."

...

"Prince Lyal will come meet you in a few days, be sure to doll yourself up, he'll take you to the holy temple where you'll both get engaged."

Doll myself up...

I haven't done that in this lifetime yet. The first time I had a makeover was on my engagement day. Now I'm already pretty, as a noble I did receive the basic care so I look attractive but since that's all I ever received, I never went beyond that.

"I understand," I kept staring at the empty table. I can't believe I thought I would get food here. I gulped. And I was so hungry as well. I had skipped breakfast and lunch because I wasn't feeling well, maybe the hunger messed with my brain...

"I'm warning you," Hubert said, "Don't mess anything up,"

"Yes," I replied.

My engagement with Prince Lyal didn't last. I was so obsessed with Hael, he was all I ever talked about when I met Lyal. I did notice his expressions of discomfort but I always ignored them. I wanted the engagement to end. I didn't want anyone else but Hael. I was such a desperate fool in love that I had deluded myself into thinking that I'd get my happy ending with Hael.

The day I turned seventeen was when Lyal officially broke the engagement. He fell in love with another woman.

A so-called 'saint'

Father and Hubert were furious. They locked in the cellar for a week, I was only given water and ended up becoming malnourished. I lost a lot of weight. Before they got me out of the cellar, I had already fainted.

"You can leave," Father said and I stood up from the chair

"Yes," As I turned to walk away, the servants came into the dining room, holding hot steamy dishes for dinner. The scene immediately made its way to my nose, causing my stomach to rumble

!!!!

It got me embarrassed but the good thing was, it happened without a sound. I fastened my speed and walked out of the room, not sparing even a glance to look back at the mouth watering dishes being presented on the dining table.

After all, it was a table I was not allowed to dine at... I was not worthy enough.

Once I was out of the dining area, I ran.

I ran all the way to my room, closed the door behind myself and jumped on the bed, feeling humiliated and embarrassed.

My stomach rumbled again and this time there was a prominent sound. It made me feel pathetic. I should have eaten something at lunch! I punched my stomach in anger. But I also knew I wasn't mad at myself, I was just disappointed and angry at my situation.