At Death's Door

>>Amber

Is it just me?

Why do I feel like my body's getting a little hot?

I touched my cheek, it was cool. Then, I touched my forehead, it was fine too. I guess it was a little higher than normal, but otherwise there was nothing strange.

Hmm?

I tilted my head as I put both my hands on my stomach. I feel like my stomach is getting hot.

Is there something wrong? Or do I need to go to the bathroom?

I'm not getting my period, am I?

No,

It's only been a week since I was free from my period, I can't be getting it again now.

The door opened and the bell jingled. I turned to look at the entrance.

"Amber!" A little girl ran inside.

"Rika," I smiled at the redhead as she came skipping towards the main counter.

"Hiya!" She waved at me.

"Hey~" I waved back at her, "How are you?"

"I'm good," Rika was seven, she's Ahin's younger sister and one of the people who love visiting the cafe, "I came to show you something,"

"Oh?" I leaned on the counter as she tried to sit on the stool. She was small so she was struggling, "Want any help?"

"No!" She was determined, "I got it," She had her arms on the stool and was pulling herself up with all her might, when a pair of hands came and pulled her up. They grabbed her waist, startling her, then put her on the stool.

As she was sat down, she shot her head to look at who had helped her.

"Brother!" She was mad, "I was going to sit by myself!" She folded her arms and pouted.

"Oh?" Ahin passed her a nervous smile, "Sorry, I thought you were struggling,"

"Hmph!"
She looked away and I chuckled, "I'll give you juice," I poked her cheek, "Do you want some?" Rika kept her eyes closed, her cheeks pouted and her arms folded, but she still nodded at me, "How cute," I smiled and then looked at Ahin, "Would you like something?"

"No," He shook his head softly, "I'm just here to tell you that I won't be coming for a few days,"

"Oh?" I walked towards the barrel, "Why not?" He walked with me from the other side.

"The jousting tournament is starting in the capital,"

"Oh," I grabbed the glass and started pouring the juice in it, "Are you participating?"

"Well, I am part of the Royal knights, so I might need to participate, it depends on the prince, but I have been asked to go back for the time being,"

"I see," Once the glass was full, I walked back to the counter front where Rika was sitting, "Will someone else be taking over your duties here?" I passed the glass to Rika, "Here," She took the glass from me from both hands,

"Thank you!" And started drinking immediately.

"For now, Count Aron's knight will oversee the city,"

"I see," The jousting tournament is a pretty big deal amongst the nobility. The best players from different noble houses participate. It's a big deal because the winners get to present roses to the ladies present there. But I'm not fond of it. I looked down for a moment,

Not one bit

It brings bad memories. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

"Amber?" Ahin called out to me and I raised my head to look at him