The Time That Made Him What He Is : A Half Bastard

>>Hael (Age 11-13)

Three other days passed. The house had no more food supplies left and I sat by the river wondering what I could do.

Do I leave? But where do I go?

I kicked my feet in the water. It feels weird now that she's not here either. I felt better than this when she was here. What is this strange feeling? I rubbed my chest. It's like I'm missing something.

I felt like my brain was shutting off my feelings. Like there were more things I had felt before but now I couldn't.

I tilted my head

What was happening?

I've never left this place. I looked back at the cottage, then looked at the sky, where a family of crows flew by, I watched them fly above me and then disappear when they flew above the forest in the distance. Then I looked back at my feet.

What do I do? I have no idea what to do.... If I don't leave, soon I'll start getting hungry.

That's when the wind increased. The leaves rustled and the fallen one flew, making me half close my eyes and shelter them with my hand.

!!!?

It concentrated on one place in the field, near the house and I turned my head to look at it. A white symbol appeared there and I recognized it. I read it in a book. It was a teleportation spell.

Right the next second, there was a flash that made me close my eyes. But when I opened them, I saw a woman standing there. She looked a little like my mother. She looked around the place and her eyes landed on me.

"You're Hael?" She asked

"Yes," I stood up, "And who are you?"

"I'm Helena, your mother's sister," She answered. So she's my aunt?

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I'm here to take you with me," She offered me her hand to take, "Come on, I'll take you to your mother."

I stared at her, "Why would you take me to my mother?"

"Why not?" She asked, "Don't you want to see your mother?"

I shrugged, I didn't know if I wanted to see her or not but one thing was sure, "She doesn't want to see me." I said and Helena froze.

"Why would you think that?" She asked,

"Because she abandoned me," I replied, "Isn't that something someone does when they don't want to see a person. She left because she doesn't want to see me anymore, right?"

She blinked at me, unsure what to say, "Your mother is-" She paused, "...She's going through a hard time." She shook her head, "She loves you very much." She gestured to me with her hand, "Come now, let's get you to a better place." She glanced at the cottage, "A middle of nowhere isn't a place to live," She let out a sigh as she stared at the house, then looked at me, "You're going to live with me from now on," She smiled, "And there are many elf kids your age too. It will be a far better place than here."

I stared at her, she kept her hand out. I turned to look at the cottage, the only place I had known for eleven years, then I looked at her again and walked over. There was this strange feeling inside of me when I grabbed her hand and she hugged me.

A weird sense of warmth mixed with a hollow feeling.

***

"I'm fairly new to the ruling seat," Helena said, "But I'm the current ruler of the elf kingdom." I looked at her and nodded. The elf kingdom had giant trees and houses built along those trees but the most impressive thing was the palace and how it was infused with the world tree.