Pitiful romance

>>Corvina

I stared at the soup, then picked up the spoon to scoop some of it and eat but before I got the chance to do so, my stomach rumbled again. This time audibly loud.

!!!

It made my cheeks flush, but what further brightened my face was the sound of snickering that came from Hael.

I turned my face to glare at him

"What!?"

"No, nothing," He shook his head, "You're hungry," He passed me a haughty smile, "I'll get you something solid to eat as well." With that, he turned around and left to get me something more. I watched him leave. My eyes refused to stop following him and only when he was out of sight did I turn my head back to the soup.

A familiar sense of abandonment crept in as the room fell completely silent. Tonight was a reminder of how unwanted I was in this family. I wiped the tears away before they got a chance to come out and then filled my mouth with soup.

It was tasty but at the same time soulless.

It was just the right amount of hot. And I felt it all go down my throat, travel through my chest and go to fill my stomach. That's how hungry I was, and once I started, I gobbled it all down like a starving child. I've never felt this hungry but the hunger probably stemmed from all the negative feelings I was feeling.

It didn't take me long and right when I finished the bowl, Hael came back. He knocked on the door and opened it to enter without waiting for a response.

Cheeky bastard

I shook my head at him, but he didn't care and I chose to not care as well. What's the point? He's going to kill us all in the future.

He put another plate down on the table, in front of me but what came on it shocked me.

!!

I looked at the plate of steaming hot fried chicken. There were only two leg pieces on it. Corvina didn't have much of an appetite but I did eat a lot in modern times and fried chicken was something that held a lot of memories for me.

We almost always ordered it, whenever there was a special occasion.

Tears fell down on my dress even before I realized it.

Huh?

It was because there was a sense of uncontrollable loneliness in me that engulfed my heart the moment I saw that dish in front of me.

Just like today,

My stomach grumbled again as the scrumptious scent of food filled my nostrils and it baffled me how hungry I still was. I never ate much as Corvina...

"You should eat," He said, "I already tested it for poison."

I glanced at Hael, my tears still falling like a stream. I was filled with memories of my modern life and all those wonderful and wholesome memories were making me feel like an empty shell.

"Yea," I whispered, "I should eat," My mom would make me eat it even if I was crying. Like when I didn't get into college and I cried my eyes out. So Dad ordered some fried chicken and mom just shoved it in my mouth while I was crying with an open mouth.

"I'll pour you some water," He walked towards my bedside table and I watched him.

I kept falling for him in my previous life because he was the only one who gave me the attention when I needed it the most. The only one who was mine and mine alone. No one else was ever there. No one else wanted to be there but Hael was

May it only be because he was my slave.

He came back with the glass of water and put it next to the plate

"You should eat before it gets cold."

He didn't ask me why I was crying. He just stood there without a word. Hael was never compassionate.

Never,

Even when I was punished for making trouble, locked up and whipped and cried my eyes out. Hael never offered me any words of comfort.

But,

I sniffled and wiped my tears away, then took the fried chicken and started eating it.

He did apply the medicine for me, he would bring the food for me and he would stand where I could see him.

I now know none of it was out of love. I smiled sorrowfully

But it was the only form of affection I ever truly got in this life.

I glanced at Hael again

And it was inevitable for me but to fall for him.

And such a pitiful romance it is