Amber's cafe

>> Corvina (Amber)

'The murder of Cory Manor still remains a mystery'

I stared at the heading of the Newspaper. It's been two years yet people haven't figured out what happened or who did it. After all, there were no witnesses and Hael burned the whole place down after murdering everyone. Majority of the bones were burned so badly, people weren't recognizable.

The knight guards decided to rule it out as an accident since every single person in the mansion had died. There was no one they could question and no one who came forward to say anything about it. There was only one person they found who was still breathing after the fire.

A maid

She was alive for a few months after the rest of the mansion burned down but she was so badly burnt she couldn't speak anything. The healers tried to heal her but somehow, by a strange phenomenon, she just wouldn't heal. The case was taken to the magic tower as well, but the mages there refused to help since their 'master' didn't allow it.

I let out a soft sigh,

Which was ultimately good for me. No one will ever attempt to look for me. No one did for these past two years, so I'm safe. At least, I think I am. I'm not living in the capital anymore, so the chances of encountering anyone I once knew are pretty slim. The Royal Palace and The Holy Temple are in the capital, so I'm avoiding two things at once.

The doorbell jingled as someone opened the door to the cafe. I was free to do whatever I wanted here and I was free to have better people around me as well.

I looked towards the door as I put the newspaper away, "Welcome!" I greeted the guest who entered my cafe, "Welcome to cafe Amber!"

"Hi, Amber!" It was a regular customer of mine.

"Hi, Amanda!" I waved back at her, "Having your regular?"

"Yep!" She went and took her seat near the window. I dinged the bell on the counter, behind which I stood to get my employee out of the kitchen and take the order. Then I noticed the delivery boy, putting the cartons outside the shop.

I shook my head at him as I watched him sweat and fret like crazy.

This boy never learns,

I walked awkwardly, dragging my right foot, making my way to the main door, "Cory, are the doughnuts ready?"

"Yes, Miss!!" My employee popped her head out of the kitchen, "Where are you going?"

"I'm going to take the cartons and bring them inside." I rolled my eyes, "That boy was late again." The boy, Cass, who makes deliveries to our store is mostly late because he oversleeps, and then he's in such a hurry that he can't even bring the cartons inside.

"I'll do it," Cory answered.

"It's fine," I replied, "I got it."

"Need any help?" Amanda asked.

"No," I waved at her, "I'm fine."

Unlike the nobles, common people don't make fun of disabilities. On the contrary, they're more helpful. Well, kids are an exception, kids are mean everywhere. They made fun of how I walked when I first came here. They still do it sometimes, but I'm learning to ignore it.

And the adults are nice, so... I guess that helps.

I stepped outside the shop, the weather was wonderful. It made me think that maybe I should keep the door and windows open. I tried to pick up the carton that was delivered but right as I was about to pick it up, it got swooped out of my hands