Final preparation

>>Serena

As I stood in the guest room, awaiting her arrival, a knot of apprehension coiled in the pit of my stomach. It had been far too long since we had last seen each other, and I couldn't shake the sense of unease that lingered in the air.

Finally, the door creaked open, and Corvina's father ushered her inside, his expression a mask of concern as he glanced between us. I turned to face Corvina, my heart lurching at the sight before me.

"She looks thin because she's been very sick for the past two months." Count Cory chose to present me with a lie before I could utter anything. I turned to look at him in disbelief, "Enjoy your time here," And he wasted no time in leaving.

What the hell...

I turned to look at Corvina again. She stood before me, her figure shrouded in the dim light of the room, a mere shadow of the vibrant young woman I had once known. Her eyes were sunken and hollow, her cheeks gaunt and pale, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of sorrow at the sight of her emaciated form.

"Corvina," I whispered, my voice catching in my throat as I took in the extent of her suffering. "You look... different."

A bitter laugh escaped her lips, tinged with a hint of resignation. "Locked away in that cellar, with nothing but my thoughts for company," She murmured, her words heavy with the weight of her anguish. "It's no wonder I've changed." She looked so defeated that it made my heart drop.

As she spoke, I felt a surge of guilt wash over me. I should have done this sooner!

God!

I would have done it sooner if not all the business trips my mother kept taking me too.

I bit my lower lip in resentment meant for myself. But even as remorse gnawed at my conscience, a flicker of determination ignited within me. I won't leave her alone from now on!!

I reached out to her, taking her hand in mine. "Corvina," I said, my voice steady with resolve. "I'm here for you now."

>>Corvina

I let out a soft chuckle,

"Good thing you came," I gave her a worn out smile, "Father was planning to keep me in the cellar for another month."

"Another month?! Did he plan on killing you!!?" My words seemed to impact her a lot more than it made sense to me. But maybe I was just out of it and was imagining it. Although the doubt in my mind was pushed out pretty fast.

It was out of the blue, but she pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry I got here so late," She hugged me tightly but I had no energy to even lift my arms and hug her back. It was like standing here was draining me of everything, "I'm going to make sure your father gets in trouble for this."

"He'll get away by simply saying that I'm this weak because I was sick."

Her expressions paled, and she pushed herself apart.

"You won't be able to get him that easily, Lady Serena, he has maintained a very resolute image in the society." I shook my head at her, "Forget about him, just focus on helping me." He doesn't matter.

Hael's going to kill them all anyway.

Her gaze dropped and she frowned.

"We'll find a way to make things right, I promise." She pulled me into another hug, but I wasn't feeling well.

It simply took me a few seconds before darkness came in front of my eyes and my mind went blank.

But this time, my father had to call a doctor since Serena refused to leave. She even stayed with me for a few days to nurse me.

***

I spent my days quietly, I didn't leave the mansion. The two months I spent in the cellar took quite a toll on my health and it took me four months to recover from that.

It was odd.

In my past life, I was only imprisoned for three weeks. But well, at the same time, I wasn't beaten up either.

I looked down at my foot. My ankle never healed properly...

Because of all the mistreatment, now I'm felt with a limp.

I can't walk properly...

Luckily, I didn't have to go anywhere.

Whenever Serena came to visit, I would give her the money and she would buy me gems. She had a good eye, so she bought good stuff, which she would give to me on her next visit.

I stored the things in my closet in a sturdy leather bag.

Nancy did come to help me out as my personal maid but I learned that she had gone quiet for some reason. She doesn't utter a single word to anyone anymore.

It didn't matter to me. I just let things be. The time to leave everything behind was coming closer after all.

"How are you today?" Serena peeled an apple for me.

"I'm fine," I smiled at her, "I've already recovered."

"Are you sure?" She passed me the apple slice.

"Yes," I took the slice from her,

"Is there anything you want?"

"Anything I want?" I ate the slice as I thought about it, "Oh! Right! There is something you need to do for me."

"What is it?" She placed the knife on the table and put the plate on the side table.

"There is a special scroll," I said, "A teleportation scroll. One that can teleport you through any barrier, take you to a place that you imagine in your mind, and leaves no traces of it behind. I want that."

"..." She looked at me with a bewildered look, "I have never heard of such a magic scroll."

"It has to be custom made," I replied, "But I can't order it. I need someone to do it for me."

She paused to think about it, "Are you afraid someone will find out?"

"Yes," I nodded

"Why? So what if someone finds out?"

"I can't let anyone know I'm planning to escape," I can't tell her about the future murder of my house, "The scroll is expensive even for nobles, I can't let the word reach my father or brother and have them rip it apart."

"How expensive?"

"It took me a year's worth of savings to be able to afford it." I secretly passed her my satchel, "I heard it takes at least a month to make that special scroll." All my info comes from the library and only God knows how old the info in it is, but I hope it's not wrong.

"Hmmm," She thought about it, "I understand," She nodded, "I'll look into it." She stood up to leave, "I should go now."

I smiled, "Thank you," She nodded at me and started making her way out.

"Oh!" I stopped her right before she grabbed the door handle, "One more thing,"

"Yes?"

"I need someone to break a strong mana stone for me."

"What?"

I pointed around my neck, at the heart-shaped pink mana gemstone "I do not wish to leave any traces behind."