11

Wuxi walks in for his appointment with the Obgyn and checks in at the front desk. He is called back quickly, sits on the table and waits for the doctor to come. He looks around the room and sees all sorts of charts and things on the walls showing the growth of babies, how the body stretches to accommodate the baby and so on. It doesn't take long for a young woman to walk into the room, she doesn't look much older than Wuxi and he is surprised by how young she is.

Hello Mr. Wei, my name is Dr. Wen, I see here it says that you are about four or five weeks pregnant, is that correct?"

He nods "Yes, I got pregnant on February twenty-third, so I should be five weeks now."

She smiles "Wow that's great most people don't know the exact date of their conception. You must have a good memory."

He tears up and she rushes to get him a tissue "I'm sorry I didn't mean to upset you, I said something wrong didn't I?"

He wipes his eyes and then starts wrapping and unwrapping the tissue around his finger nervously but shakes his head "No, its not your fault, I had sex that night but not because I wanted to."

She gives him a sympathetic look "I'm so sorry, were you assaulted?"

He shakes his head "Not in the way you mean, I was taken to a party and there were aphrodisiacs pumped into the room. Everyone apparently but me knew that it was that kind of party, my boyfriend took me and didn't tell me. He tried to have sex with me but I hit him in the head and ran and hid but it got so bad that I couldn't keep quiet and was found. I don't remember who found me but he tried to be nice and gentle considering the circumstances and the fact that it was my first and only time."

She pats his back comfortingly "I'm so sorry that happened to you, if you need it I can recommend someone for you to talk to if you want."

He smiles without humor at her "Thanks, I might, let me think about it."

She nods and sits down on the chair in front of him "Well since there is no father to consult we will go over your options and you can make your decision based on them alright?"

He nods and she opens up his medical chart "If you decide to keep the baby there are a sorts of programs and classes to prepare you to take care of your baby after you deliver."

He interrupts her "I'm keeping it, I don't want the other options, I am financially sound and even though I am young I have a lot of people around me who can help me if I need it. I want to keep my baby Dr. Wen."

She smiles at him "Good then let's go over some of the information for that."

She goes over several bits of information that she thinks will be beneficial to him after she gives him a handful of informational pamphlets and papers on what and what not to eat and herbs and medications that could be harmful she nods "Since we know the exact date of conception there is no need for a scan today. We will do your first scan on your next visit to see how you're developing and it will give us a better scan then anyway. I want to strongly suggest that you take the parenting classes so that you are prepared for when baby comes. They will teach you all of the things you will need as a new parent. I also think it would be a good idea to speak to someone about the night you became pregnant, you don't have to go through your whole life if you don't want to but it might help you to avoid possible postpartum issues. I will see you back here in three weeks for your eight-week scan okay?"

He nods grinning "Thank you Dr. Wen, I really appreciate everything, I think I will take the number you offered to talk to someone. I want to be healthy physically and mentally when my baby comes and I'm not going to avoid what happened and risk not being completely there for my child."