32

Carmen smiles nodding and tells him how she met Wuxi and everything that has happened since then. How her best friend growing up was his mother and that she has always treated him as her son.

He grins "That pretty little girl you were always with? That is his mother?"

She nods "Yes Ba, we lost touch about three years before she married and had the twins. I didn't know about them or I would have taken them into our family the moment she died."

He scoffs "Why did I never know she was Baoshan's daughter?"

Carmen smiles fondly thinking of her dearest friend "Because like her son she was just a sweet and loving soul who lived as if she were like anyone else. She never showed her wealth and didn't honestly care about it. Cani was just a beautiful girl with a gentle and kind soul very much like her son is. When we were little Baoshan was just building her business and later after it was wildly successful Cani asked that everyone treat her as they always had so that's what we did."

"Where is Baoshan? Why didn't she take her grandchildren after her daughter died?" He asks his scowl once again marring his face.

Carmen presses her lips together "From the information I have gained she checked on the children after their parent's death and thought it would be best if they stayed with the Jiang's since they had a stable home and two children of their own. She traveled extensively for her company and didn't think it would be a good idea to drag two children around with her or leave them alone all of the time while she traveled."

She scowls a little "Their solicitor who got regular updates on the twins would send out a report monthly and because Madam Yu was in charge of the children's needs, she falsified their living conditions in her monthly report. The Jiangs were paid very well for the twins to live with them and since she was the one left in charge of them, she said and did what she wanted. Baoshan was able to visit them a few times a year when she was back in China but each time, they would put on a happy family façade until she left the country again, I know that she hasn't been to visit them in several years though."

Grandfather Lan scoffs "And where has she been all this time? Has she even seen her great-grandchildren?"

She thins her lips and then shakes her head "She has not, I have tried to contact her many times and have not been able to do so. I get the run around from her assistant with excuse after excuse. No one has seen her in person for more than two years. In business, they have been dealing with her assistant and her CFO but she has not been directly dealt with any business as far as I can find for at least two years maybe more."

He taps his cane once again "Irresponsible, I will have my people look into it. I have more contacts in the business world than you do, how shameless to ignore her family."

Wangji takes a deep breath "Yiyi, do I have your consent? Can I take Wuxi as my fiancé? I want to give my children a complete home and family.

He looks at the hope, fear and longing in his grandson's eyes and nods "Fine but I want another paternity test done with doctors of my choosing before you are engaged, I want to meet him and the children and I want to know about Baoshan before the engagement ceremony. If she has done something to bring shame to her family, I will not allow it to stain the Lan name and will revoke my permission, grandchildren or no grandchildren."

Reluctantly Wangji agrees "I understand Grandfather and thank you. I can bring the boys to you tomorrow since it is so late in the day now and if you want to go to the hospital you can meet with Wuxi and see AMei. If that is your wish just let me know so that I can inform Wuxi, he is very worried about our daughter and will need a bit of time to mentally prepare to meet you."