25

Wuxi looks at the man, just noticing him after Carmen Mom calls for him. Wuxi's breath catches in his throat, this man is gorgeous, enough to cause his eyes to go wide, those golden eyes of his are mesmerizing. He hears his deep baritone voice and feels a wave of shivers run down his entire body before his brain kicks in and understands the words he just said, he nods moving out of the way then follows them into the room where his daughter is being looked at by the doctor.

Wangji puts Carmen down in a chair near the bedside of the baby girl and she takes the baby's tiny hand gently into hers, stroking it.

Wuxi looks at the doctor "Can you tell me what's wrong with her please?"

He stands up and nods "She has an inner ear infection which is part of why she is running a fever but it doesn't explain the level of white blood cells, I want to keep her here for observation for the next twenty-four hours and run some more tests. I think there is something else going on and the ear infection just brought it to light, with the addition of vomiting which can be associated with ear infections yet never has with her, I think something more serious could be happening. Her fever is higher than I would like so we will give her something to help reduce that and she will be given an I.V. when she gets into her regular room so we can start her on antibiotics, we already gave her something for the vomiting. She is small enough that she will have to have her arm strapped down for the I.V. so she might be in distress because of her arm restriction. Try to keep her calm and make sure someone she is familiar with will be with her at all times so she doesn't pull out the I.V. lead."

Wuxi is wringing his hands while the doctor is talking to him "I have two other toddlers, they are triplets, do I need to bring them in and have them checked?"

The doctor shakes his head "If they aren't running a fever then no, if they start to then yes. Have someone keep a close eye on your other two children, and have them brought in at the first sign of fever. We will be moving her to a room and will have another bed brought in so that you can stay with her."

He nods a little too fast and swallows hard "Thank you, doctor."

He smiles tightlipped and walks out of the room. Wuxi walks over to his daughter and picks her up, he lays down on the bed, puts her on his chest and starts humming to her softly as he pats her comfortingly.

Wangji has been standing off to the side and has witnessed all of this. He says nothing, just continues to observe what is going on in the room. His mother strokes the baby's back and after the other doctor leaves the room the nurses fuss at her to let them finish their examination.

She huffs in irritation "Fine just get it over with, can't you see we have a sick baby here? I don't mean to be rude but she is more important than my stupid ankle, I'll be fine."

Wangji finally steps away from the wall "Mother let them treat you, it won't take long then you can get back to them but please let them see what is going on with your ankle."

She sighed and nodded and let them finish what they were trying to do before she tore off across the hospital. He watches them poke and turn her ankle this way and that while glancing at the man lying in the bed with a baby on his chest gently patting her back and humming. His breath catches in his lungs when he sees a small mole by his lower lip and his heart cranks up a thousand percent. Surely this isn't the man from that night nearly three years ago, there's no way he is that lucky. He does remember that this is the same boy that his uncle kicked out of school which means this is also the artist that he has been stalking online for two years or more. He tries to calm himself down as he watches both Wuxi and his mother as they fuss over the sick toddler.

They finally finished Carmen's examination and got the X-rays back, she had a severe sprain and they told her to stay off of her ankle for four or five days, they put a brace on it and gave her some crutches.