Chapter 40

Val's pov

I closed the locker and walked out of the door. As I was walking I bumped into someone and my books fell to the floor.

"Can't you atleast watch where you're going?" I said, picking my books up, and surprisingly, the person who bumped into me was helping me pick up my books.

After picking the books, I stood up, and the person who was helping just now put my other books on top of the ones I was holding.

"Em," I breathlessly said once I finally looked at the person who bumped into me just now.

He looked at me with an emotion I couldn't describe before walking past me as if he didn't see me.

I put my books on the nearest table before going to him. I just can't leave without him telling me the reason why he acts like this.

"Em, I'm calling you, and I know you can hear me unless you're deaf which I'm certain you ain't," I shouted.

"Em?"

"Em, please tell me why you're like this, why are you angry with me?" I said, holding his hand to stop him from walking.

He turned to look at me before removing his hand from my hold.

"Angry? No, I'm not angry. I'm furious Val, I can't believe you left Italy without even bothering to say goodbye to me, why?, just why? Why did you do it? Do you know how saddened I was?" He angrily said.

"I- I..." I tried to speak.

"Now you don't know what to say? You just don't understand, you left me and you knew that you were the only person who understood me and the only person I could confide with but no, you just left me all alone without even saying goodbye. I was all alone, lonely with no one by my side. I was a mess, a living mess." He was angry and sad at the same time.

"I told you Em, I told you that I was going to go with my uncle to New York City but after I told you, you didn't speak to me at all, you were sad and angry at me for no reason..."

"For no reason? So you wanted me to be happy that you would be leaving me for years?. You wanted me to be happy that we will be apart for many years?, answer me." He shouted.

"Will you please listen to me until I finish speaking, there's basically no need for you to ignore me, shout at me or be angry at me without knowing what happened" I shouted back angrily at him. He should listen to me.

"Like I said you were not talking to me after I told you about my trip to Italy, so I told your mom the date of  when I would be leaving hoping that she tells you for me, when the day of my departure arrived, I went to your house to say goodbye to you only to find that you weren't there, your mother said you were at your cousin's place so I went back home and wrote a goodbye letter to you, I gave the letter to uncle Marc at the airport so that he gives it you."

"You know, I always expected your calls during my stay in Italy but only to be disappointed every day. When I tried to call you, your number wasn't reachable." I continued.

"You don't know how much I missed you, Em, that day at the restaurant, I was so happy to see you but only to be disappointed again when you gave me a cold shoulder.Because that wasn't what I was expecting, especially after 5 years of us not seeing each other." I said, wiping tears  from my eyes. Wow, I can't believe I'm crying.

"I-I just didn't expect you to treat me like that, as if I were a stranger to you, I guess I always have my hopes up. Um... I will get going, I'm already late for my lesson. " I  wiped my tears again before running out of the door.

"Wait, Tina," Em called out, but I didn't stop running, I went downstairs to the bathrooms. I didn't even notice that I forgot to take my history books.

Once I got inside the bathroom, I cried so hard, I never thought that the way Em behaved with me at the restaurant as if I were a stranger to him affected me this much.

There was no need for me to attend history since there were only 10 minutes left for the siren to ring.

After the siren rang, I looked at myself in the mirror, and holy shit I looked like a blood sucking zombie. My eyes were red from crying.

I poured water on my face, hoping that my eyes would get better. I looked at myself in the mirror again to see that my eyes were better, but the redness was slightly visible. I just hope Eve wouldn't notice.

I walked to the cafeteria. Once I arrived in the cafeteria, I got on the line, took my meal, and went to sit with Eve at our usual table.

We no longer sit with Nick and Alia cause they sit with Alia's friends, so it's just me and Eve.

I smiled at Eve as I sat down before eating my food, I could feel Eve's gaze on me, but I just pretended not to notice.

"We have the same class after this, right?" I said, trying to break the tension.

"Look at me," she said.

"This food tastes delicious," I said, ignoring her.

"Were you crying?" She asked.

"What? No, why would I cry?" I said, looking at her.

"Oh my god, you were crying. Who do I need to kill?" she angrily said.

"Don't worry, it's nothing serious,I just had painful petiod cramps, that's all."

She kept quiet and looked at me suspiciously.

"Okay, if you say so. Are you fine now?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm fine. The pain has subsided. Now let's continue eating, please. "

"Hey Val and Everly," someone from behind me said.

"Hi to you too, Nick," Eve replied, and I just gave him a nod.

"Why did you miss the history lesson?" Nick asked me after he sat down on a chair that was next to me on my right.

"You missed a lesson?" Asked Eve.

"Yeah, I wasn't feeling well, I was having painful cramps, so I went to the school infirmary," I lied yet again, I didn't want to worry them too much.

"Okay, how are you feeling now?" Nick asked.

"I'm good."

"Are you sure?" he said again.

"Guys, stop being worried, okay, look, I'm fine. Now let's forget about that. Where's your girlfriend?" I asked Nick.

"She's with her friends,"

"You know I can't believe that you literally called me late at night to just disturb me asking about where your girlfriend was even when you knew where she was."

"I was bored, okay?" He said

"I'm going to make you pay for that. Just wait and see," I said, and he just laughed as if I just cracked the biggest joke

After a few minutes, the cafeteria door was burst open. The people became silent, and everyone turned to look at the door with fear. I just didn't understand what was happening.

"They're here, and today he is with them," Nick said seriously and showed fear as if he wasn't just laughing a few minutes ago.

I looked at the door, waiting patiently to see what people feared.

____________________________

Vote and comment, my lovely readers🥰❤️