Forty two

'' You designed a poison gas, Howard?'' Evy asked looking at him ''No!'' Howard spoke walking past her ''Well, not intentionally.'' He reached for the box at the table and opened it ''The army wanted something that would keep soldiers awake for days at a time, but it failed.''

Howard took out the photos showing the dead bodies laying on the grass caused by the poisonous gas he invented way back from the war. '' Caused symptoms. Similar to sleep deprivation, anger, hallucinations, psychosis.'' Every one turned to the photos listening to him. ''If you knew all that, why use it in Finow?'' Daniel asked ''I didn't. My lab was raided. They took my samples, my research, all on the orders of General McGinnis. The next day, they dropped it on the Russians to help them take Finow. I flew there afterward to see with my own eyes. What those men did to each other, you can't imagine.''

''We don't need to imagine. We saw it in that theater. I experienced it myself'' Howard turned to Daniel '' and you survived?'' Howard curiously asked ''It's been known to cause asphyxiation.'' He added.

''explains our voiceless friends.'' Someone performed laryngotomy procedures on these men. I expect it was Dr. Ivchenko or, as he's also known, Johann Fennhoff.'' Peggy explained opening the files for Howard. He scrunched his eyebrows in confusion ''A psychiatrist with a specialty in hypnosis.'' Evy answered

''Must be how they got to Dooley. And if he can control the chief, we're all at risk.'' Jack mumbled loud enough for everyone to hear ''This Fennhoff obviously wants to punish me, so let's give him what he wants.'' Howard turned to them all Peggy looked at him ''I'll be the bait. The SSR just needs to set the trap.'' Howard replied to her. ''Yeah. Something public. Real showy.'' Jack agreed while Peggy glares at the both of them

Howard smirked turning to them ''Well, that's the only way I do it.'' Peggy shook her head and turned to Evy as Howard did too. She only sat there looking at them with raised eyebrows which Peggy can't tell if she's either fine with the plan or not. Howard hoped to hear a small concern or disagreement from her but she only looked at him with no emotion at all, thinking she do not care about him, Howard let's out a sigh trying to brush off the awkwardness he felt from out of nowhere.

Minutes later, everyone has made a plan and went to their own directions to prepare. ''How's that look?'' Howard asked while trimming his mustache. ''Like a nest of spiders, with very short legs.'' Jarvis answered ''that's good enough''

''Hey, Peg, you got any powder? I want to cut down the shine.'' Howard smiled to her as she entered ''I don't like this, Howard. It's too dangerous.'' Peggy sighed worriedly ''Don't waste your breath, Miss Carter. I've already wasted mine on the subject.'' Jarvis also sighed. ''What is that?'' Howard asked as Evy entered with a body armor on her hand ''It's body armor for your protection.'' She said placing it down on the table. Howard examines it before turning to her ''its junk!''

Evy raised her eyebrows at him clearly not liking how he half yelled at her, Howard paused seeing the look on her face ''Where's my stuff?'' he calmly asked. Peggy bites her lip trying to hold in her laughter after seeing how Evy can still manage to scare Howard with just one look.

''In the lab'' Evy opened the door and left with Howard following behind her to head to the lab. When they reached the lab, Evy opened the door showing Howard all the things in there making him hurriedly go inside ''What are you people doing?'' Howard reached for his invention ''These are highly volatile materials.'' He roamed around fixing his inventions ''This... This is photosensitive. This should be kept in the dark. ''

''This... This is photosensitive. This should be kept in the dark.'' Evy rolled her eyes at him. ''This... This should be kept cool.'' He added ''Howard'' she called ''And this. This is fine now.'' Howard continued ''Howard!'' she yelled making him turn to her ''what?'' he asked confused ''Howard, what are you hoping to accomplish with this ridiculous press conference? There are other ways to get Fennhoff into the open.'' Howard stood in front of her ''Name one. No, name three.''

''There it is.'' he said before Evy could even speak. Howard cleared his throat as he reached for what he was looking for ''Stops a .50-cal round from 100 feet.'' he showed her the armor ''Unless you're planning to put it on your stupid head, it won't be enough.'' Evy shook her head

''I trust you with my whole heart to keep me safe.'' He smiled at her making Evy sigh ''You're punishing yourself.'' She yelled ''I'm redeeming myself.'' Howard argued ''I have enough blood on my hands. I don't need yours as well.'' and she wasn't only talking about the lives of the people she lost, she also meant the lives of the people that she took but he does not need to know about that, or at least not yet. ''I've had to go through my life not caring what people think of me, but I do care what you think. And after what I have done and failed to do...''

'' But that does not mean that I want you to die!'' Evy yelled at him ''Well, that makes two of us. But you know and I know that this is my fault.'' Evy sighed frustratedly ''General McGinnis stole Midnight Oil and used it recklessly. He is at fault. Can you not see that?'' She asked in a convincing manner ''I need to fix this. Otherwise, I won't be able to live with myself.'' Howard softly spoke ''you're mad'' she glared ''as a hatter'' he smirked at her making her scoff and leave the lab