Forty four

''How long until he reaches New York?'' Peggy asked after the arrived at Howard's vault ''Twelve minutes. Maybe less.'' Daniel responds. '' Maybe we could talk him down.'' Jack spoke after his gun cocks ''You think he'd listen? Chief did.'' he added Peggy sighed ''radio room?'' She asked turning to Jarvis ''Second floor of the hangar.''

''I need someone to take one of those planes up.'' Peggy looked at them ''why'' Jack asked but she only looked at him ''Shoot him down with a plane full of poisonous gas?'' Daniel scrunched his eyebrows ''You'd have to do it over the water before he reaches land.'' Jack answered ''jeez'' Daniel shook his head ''well I'm not your guy, I've never flown a plane before'' Jack nodded ''likewise''

''I have'' Jarvis spoke everyone turned to him ''Mr. Jarvis, I cannot ask this of you.'' Peggy disagreed ''Mr. Stark would want to be stopped by any means possible. We have little time.'' Jarvis added, 'Help him get off the ground.'' Peggy ordered and everyone started to move. Evy let's out a frustrated sigh as she started to follow behind them. Jack turned to her ''where's your gun?'' he asked ''you think I need one?'' she smirked making him scoff ''you alright?'' Peggy asked ''yup''

''we'll get him Evy'' she assured ''alive, I hope'' Evy replied ''we will'' Peggy patted her back. Evy only nodded hoping that they really would be able to get Howard back safely, She got no one left but him and Peggy. As much as she don't want to admit it, she's afraid she'll lose Howard too

''Full tank of gas, plenty of ammo, you're good to go. Mr. Jarvis'' Evy instructed as se stood at the door of the plane ''Excellent.'' Jarvis smiled nervously ''let's go!'' Daniel yelled ''Jarvis, if you don't leave now, don't bother!' Jack also yelled ''Look, I've flown planes before. I've just never shot a man down.''

''If Peggy finds this guy, you'll never have to fire a shot.'' Evy assured him ''let's pray you're right Miss Lenoir'' seconds later, Jarvis finally took off leaving the three. After they heard a gun shot, Evy spoke ''I'll handle that'' she announced leaving the two men to head on a different direction

As Evy were making her way towards the radio room, she heard grunts ''I thought you'd be better'' someone spoke making her raise her eyebrows in confusion knowing the voice isn't Peggy's. She slowly sneaked inside to see the door of the radio door open and there she saw who spoke, it was a blonde woman standing in front of Peggy's body that is laying on the floor grunting from pain

Evy quietly stepped inside ready to attack the woman who's back is faced to her. Peggy looked at Evy making he blonde turn around to see what she was looking at and ready to swing the baseball bat on her hand, Evy quickly took another step towards her and kicked the blonde on the back causing her to fall back and hit the glass window behind her and fall. Evy kneeled down to help Peggy from the floor. Peggy thanked her before she quickly ran to the radio mic that's connected to all the planes inside the vault to reach Howard.

Evy walked towards the window to see who the blonde girl was, reaching the end of the broken window. There she saw the blonde laying on a wing of the plane with bloods dripping down her head but to her surprise, it wasn't just a blonde girl, it was the blonde that she took care of back when she was still in the red room, the blonde that she tried to protect no matter how cruel that room was, it was Dorothy Underwood. Everything around her seemed to stop as she was once again reminded about her traumatic past but this time she was reminded by another person that was also from that room ''Dottie'' she mumbled to herself while she was stood there frozen in shock and eyes glued to Dottie's body.

''I'm gonna bring him home, Peg.'' Howard spoke from the radio ''Fennhoff has put this fantasy in your mind. He's trying to get you to deploy the gas over civilians.'' Peggy replied to him ''Don't worry about that, Peg. There are no civilians where I am.''

''You don't have to fix anything.'' Peggy said as she was still trying to convince Howard after being hypnotized by Fennhoff ''all I've done my whole life is create destruction. Project Rebirth was... He was the one thing I've done that brought good into this world.'' Peggy turned to Evy to see her still standing at her spot ''Howard, I know you loved him. We loved him, too. But this won't bring him back.'' She spoke while tears run down her cheeks ''Steve is gone. We have to move on, all of us. As impossible as that may sound, we have to let him go.'' She added

Getting no response from Howard, she shook her head in defeat and slowly reached for the other radio mic to send signal to Jarvis to shoot down Howard's plane

Evy's thoughts were all cut off from Peggy's voice making her turn to look at Peggy already crying ''oh God'' she mumbled knowing it's not good ''Peg? He was good before I got ahold of him, huh?'' Howard spoke making the two smile ''Yes, he was.'' Evy let's out a sigh of relief ''where are you'' Peggy immediately asked ''Evidently, flying a plane. To Manhattan. I guess you guys can explain that to me once I land.'' He chuckled ''Mr. Jarvis, he's all right. Stand down.'' Evy commanded making Jarvis exhale ''thank God''

Minutes later, the two made their way out of the radio room with reliefs on their faces ''alive, you said'' Peggy joked ''thanks Peg, you did it'' she smiled ''no, We all did'' Peggy hugged her. What happened to you back there Evy'' she asked as they continued walking. Evy let's out a sigh ''Dottie''

''Oh I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I thought they already did'' Peggy apologized ''it's fine, maybe I just need to breath for a while'' Peggy gave her a tight smile ''it still haunts you doesn't it?'' Evy only nodded in response

''You were gonna shoot me out of the sky?'' Howard asked from afar earning their attention ''Well, I thought that was what you would have wanted.'' Jarvis responds ''No! No, it's not. And for future reference, under no circumstance would I want anyone to shoot or otherwise hurt me. You got that?'' Howard raised his voice making him nod ''your point is amply made, sir'' Howard smiled hugging him ''You're all right, Jarvis.'' Jarvis hugged him back ''As are you, sir.''

Evy smiled at them as they stood in front of the two ''I owe you another one pal'' Howard spoke and walked towards them to hug Peggy ''to be honest, I already stopped counting'' she chuckled. Howard turned to Evy with a huge smile on his face ''come here idiot'' she smiled before he went in to hug her too ''god, I missed you'' he whispered to her making her chuckle ''What are we gonna do about this guy?'' Howard asked pulling away after Jack and Daniel put Fennhoff inside their car ''I suggest we put him in a trunk'' Peggy smiled. Evy's head turned to the direction where Dottie fell to see her body gone, as she was about to walked towards there, Howard called her ''Evy, you coming or what?'' he asked holding the door of the car open for her. She nodded her head and walked towards him, turning one last look behind her, she stepped inside the car with Howard following behind her ''finally home'' he smiled looking at her making her roll her eyes and smile ''shut up.''