Forty three

''All charges against Mr. Stark have been dropped. We owe Mr. Stark a tremendous debt of gratitude, and his assistance in our current investigation is invaluable.'' Jack spoke while both him and Howard stood in front of the reporters with cameras flashing right on their faces. ''Hero" Howard whispered to Jack, ''he is a hero for all Americans.'' Jack cleared his throat before continuing.

''I'm gonna put a bullet on his head'' Evy spoke making Peggy smile at her while both their eyes scan the area '' I bet you will'' Peggy replied ''Are the rooftops covered, Agent Comden?'' Evy spoke on the intercom on her hand ''all clear'' the agent responds.

''Mr. Stark, have all your weapons been recovered?''

''Is it true that you were hiding at the residence of Barbara Stanwyck?''

The interviewers asked Howard as he stepped up in front. ''For too long now, the name Howard Stark has been dragged through the mud. Today is a day of reckoning for anyone who doubts...'' he was cut off by a sudden gun shot fired towards his head, Jack immediately pulled Howard down to duck as others did the same ''Who's got eyes on the shooter?'' Jack asked on his intercom ''it's coming from above'' Daniel responds.

Another shot was fired making Evy look up and saw where it was coming from after another shot. She made her way up to the hotel where all the shots were from ''they're shooting from a hotel'' Peggy informed the other agents running after Evy while Jack directs Jarvis on where to bring Howard.

''Take us to the SSR, officer.'' Jarvis instructs the driver after Howard safely made his way inside the car, as he was reaching for the door from the other side, the driver took off with the cars tires squealing. Jarvis was left stunned after seeing the two bodies of the actual agents that were supposed to take them laying dead on the ground '' oh no'' he mumbled before running off to tell the agents. ''Agent!'' Jarvis yelled ''where's Stark?'' Daniel asked ''he's been taken''

Jack burst in to the room where the shooter were located with Peggy following him. They were looking around the room when they saw Evy heading towards the window after she saw the rifle, she scanned it for some seconds before looking through the rifle's aperture sight seeing it aimed only right above from Where Howard was standing and not directly towards him nor his head. ''Where are they?'' Jack asked looking at the two ''This rifle was rigged to fire itself, They're long gone.'' Peggy explained as she looked at the rifle ''that's strange'' Evy spoke ''What'' Jack asked turning to her

Jack took a closer look ''either it was a bad aim or the gun was never supposed to kill Howard'' Evy explained ''It's aimed perfectly well above the podium.'' Peggy spoke ''it was a diversion'' Evy realized making the two turn to her ''diversion for what?'' Jack asked her

''All agents, Stark's been grabbed. APB is being issued. He's in a police car heading west.'' Sousa spoke, ''oh'' Peggy sighed before they all ran out of the room to head back down ''So, now we got to tell the whole world we're chumps. They've been planning this whole thing since the beginning.'' Jack spoke when they finally made their way on the streets ''o, they couldn't have. Could they? Kidnapping Howard couldn't have been part of their original plan. They didn't know he was here until the press conference.'' Peggy replied making Evy turn to them ''what, they? I thought this was all Fennhoff?''

''She didn't know?'' Peggy turned to Jack ''oh that was what we were supposed to tell her but Howard showed up lately'' Evy looked at them confused ''tell me what? tell me now then'' Jack let's out a scoff ''if you would let me finish then I would'' ''then just say it for heavens sake''

''What day is it today?'' Peggy asked gaining both of their attention ''what'' Evy asked ''May 8th'' Jack responds ''VE Day. '' Jack added after looking around ''They're going to hit Times Square.'' Peggy spoke before running off with Evy and Jack behind her.

(sorry for the short chapter!)