Cross

I stood and watched the huge group of walkers, gun in hand. Tara and Maggie cleaned Eugene up and all. I walked to the truck. " They got no clue we're here." I told Tara who was placing out bottles of water. " That's great news for Yreatm and less great news for Yreatm. We cleared out the tank." She said sighing. I raised a brown and glanced at her. " What's Yreatm?" ( Fill your initial in if you'd like.) I asked shaking my head. " Us, Group name, solidarity. Yreatm. Thinking about getting it tattooed on my knuckles." Ehe joked and tossed me a bottle with my initial on it. " Sorry, I'm just trying to think of something else. You know." I nodded, dismissing her. " We all are."

Maggie walked up as I took a sip of the water. " Anything?" She sighed and shook her head. " Should we get him to the Church?" I asked but she shrugged. " Moving him could make him worse." I nodded looking down. " What'll make him better?" Rosita asked. " Waking up. If he doesn't." She trailed off letting us assume. Rosita tried giving Abraham some water but he knocked it out of her hand and stood with his fists balled. Maggie pulled her gun on him, cocking it.

" Sit down or I'll put you down." She said. I walked up to them when he now turned on Maggie and glared at her. He turned back around and fell to his knees. " Well, what's next in the agenda?"

" We need more water." I sighed. " There's a creek bout a mile southwest of here." Rosita said. " Y'all go, I'll stay here." Maggie offered. " You sure?" I glanced at Abraham, she nodded and pulled me into a hug as Rosita and them started walking. " Be safe." She muttered as I walked up to the other two.

We passed some walkers trapped under a powerline pole. " Just stay here and don't get up. There's nothing for you in Washington." Tara joked. " That's not funny." Rosita scolded her. " It's not, not not not funny." Tara tried again. " I get that we're all dealing with things in different ways-" she cut me off. " I'm not dealing with things, I'm over it. I just hope he's okay. Eugene wasn't strong, fast or knows how to wield a weapon. He was useless, he had one skill. We're supposed to be mad at him for using it?" She had a point so I sighed and stayed quiet. We eventually got to the creek, and the water was dirty. " Think it's any clearer up stream?" Tara asked. " Doubt it."

" I got it." Rosita went on to make a filter out of one of the bottles. " Eugene taught me. Takes a while but it'll be clear in a couple minutes." She said when she noticed my raised eyebrow. " Were you with Abraham before it all?" Tara asked. She shook her head. " No, I was with other people." I nodded. " How'd you wind up together?" I asked. " We crossed paths in Dallas. Me and my group were fighting biters and he jumped in. With that big truck, rest in peace. He had Eugene in the cap, when he saw what i could do he wanted my help. He was the first to ask me for it, or maybe he was lying too." She explained. I nodded, glancing at the water when I heard splashing.

" See that, those ripples? Fish." I smiled. " Okay, How?" That's asked but I was already heading back.

We tore some of the netting out of the walker's jackets as they tried reaching us from under the pole. Tara laughed and held up a bag, " bingo." She smiled. Back at the creek we stood in the water, baiting the fish out. " Almost..." I whispered, watching the fish swim right into the netting. " Now!" Rosita laughed as we pulled the net out, successfully catching the fish. " You know how to clean these things?" I asked her to which she smiled. " I know how to clean these things." I handed her the net. " Good, well need that wherever we end up. You in?" I asked her. She nodded with a genuine smile. " I'm in." I smiled.

" You'll never believe what's in this bag." Tara smiled.

-

We were walking back, Tara was playing with the yo-yo she found in the bag. " You know, now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't completely not, not not funny." I told her. " Hey, we'll be okay." I tried getting their attention off of the huge group of walkers. Rosita smiled at me, nodding. We walked back and up to the truck, Maggie stood smiling as we got closer. " He's awake."

We got into the truck and headed back to the church. When we got there we noticed the olace full of walkers. Abraham parked the truck right infront of the door, blocking them from getting out. Michonne hugged me and Maggie, Carl grabbing onto my leg. I gave his shoulder a squeeze. I turned to Glenn and put my hand out and onto his shoulder as a hello to which he did the same. " You're back." She smiled, " Eugene lied." I sighed. " Where's Rick?" I asked changing the subject. Instead of answering she turned to Maggie with a smile. " Beth's alive. She's in a hospital in Atlanta and Rick and them went to get her back." Maggie breathed a unbelievable sigh. " do we know which one?" She asked. " Grady memorial." Michonne said. Maggie laughed happily and jumped on me for a hug. She laughed into my shoulder, me doing the same. " Well, let's blow this joint. Go save your sister." Tara suggested with a smile. We immediately got into the truck and headed there with the help of Michonne's directions.

We got there just in time to see Rick walk out with a pained expression. When he saw me he ran up and hugged me, I did the same. We pulled apart when Daryl appeared holding Beth's limp body. Maggie immediately fell to the ground with a scream. I threw my gun to the side and grabbed onto her, hugging her as tight as I could. She soaked my shirt with her tears as I wiped my own behind her back, whispering into her ear to calm her. Daryl stood by us, not making eye contact. He had tears of his own streaming down his face while glancing down at Beth's closed eyes. I could feel my heart shatter at Maggie's constant pained screams as she dug her fingers into my back, afraid I'd disappeared too.

Why does it always end up like this? Why do we always have to lose someone in the end? Why did it have to be Beth?

************************************

I really didn't want Beth to die but it is what it is. And I'm really pissed, I had to rewrite this entire chapter because Wattpad didn't save the one I previously wrote.

~S