Parenting

The next morning we got up and back on the road. I was eager to get to Maggie's people, to meet my son. " Isn't your friend supposed to be on watch?" The guy with Maggie asked.

We were looking for Kelly, she was supposed to be on watch but wasn't there. She was sneaking around a truck. " You can't go running off by yourself like that." Maggie scolded. She glanced at me and then down. " Her sister's missing." Daryl said making her glance up to something laying on the truck. I sighed before jumping up and grabbing it, it was a jacket. I threw it down to her and grabbed the rest of the stuff. " He just lost his too." Maggie said pointing to the masked boy who was standing some ways away. I jumped down, King making sure I was okay. We headed forward, my hand patting Kelly's shoulder as we passed. " Let's go." I muttered.

They made small talk while I walked in the back. I was glad Maggie and King was getting along well. " We're almost there. I can't wait for you to meet Hershel." Maggie said, Daryl stopped. " Hey, wh-" he got cut off by Maggie breaking out in a sprint. I was close after her. The camp, I'm assuming, was burned to the ground. I lost Maggie in the smoke, running around. I stopped by two burnt bodies, Maggie coming out the door. " They followed us maggie. We were so careful but it's them. They're out here." Maggie looked worried. " We don't know that." She shook her head. " Two of our people are dead. It's the reapers."  The guy said. " What's the reapers?" King asked. She had her gun clutched in her hand tightly. Me too. " People that attacked our home." Maggie said. " We gotta get our heads on straight. Find my people, find our son." She added. We nodded, spreading out. Daryl got some tracks. " They scattered. Definitely running. North." He said as me and King came up behind them. " These people, if it's them..." She trailed off giving me a concerned look. I grabbed her and gave her a soft hug. " Well find them." I reassured.

We followed after Daryl, my bow stayed raised as we advanced. Daryl stopped us, cracks came from behind some trees. My bow was up and aimed, it was a walker. Maggie went to go kill it. The tracks didn't go much farther. It split up.

" Trail split." Daryl said to which I nodded. " Hershel?" Maggie asked. I glanced down with a shake, " lost him. Someone could have picked him up tho." He said. " What now?" King asked. " We split up the group." I said. " No way." I directed a glare at the guy. " My people are out there, splitting up is the fastest way to find them." Maggie nodded at me. " And what if something finds us?" He asked again. " Just stay alive. Yn, Daryl and I will cross. Keep heading North. We'll catch up." Maggie said. King gave a grunt in protest but I shook my head. " I'll be fine. Whistle if you're in trouble and I'll come running." I said, befkre following Maggie.

We tracked farther, looking for any signs. We heard branches snapping which made me raise my crossbow. Daryl stopped us and walked ahead. I held watch of him. When he grabbed someone me and Maggie ran up. " She's one of ours. Stand down. Let's go." She whispered, running off. I folowed after her. We crouched as they talked. They don't know what's out there. " Where's Hershel?" The name of my son brought my attention back to them. " Kim had him. He's out here somewhere." The brunette said. " It's been hours. You're the first people we've seen." The other said. I heard whizzing of an arrow. The guy next to me grabbed his throat, blood gushing from it. I was on alert, we got up and ran as they continued to shoot at us. I ran with Daryl and Maggie, " fuck me." I wheezed.

A gun went off and someone groaned. Again they started running making me groan. It's the woman from before. " It's a trap." Daryl said as I watched the girl cry out in pain. The other one came up behind her. " Hey, get down." I yelled but I was too late. She got shot in the chest. The pointed at Maggie then to where she came from. " I think she saw Hershel. What she's trying to tell me." Maggie said. I nodded and got up, " we gotta get to him first." I said but was sat down when a bullet shot the tree right next to my head. " Fuck!" I yelled feeling my face over. " There's only one shooter." Daryl said. " Three shots. One at a time." Maggie said. Daryl nodded. " I'll go around and flank him." Maggie said. " No." I denied but she was already up and going. " I'm getting gray hairs already." I tried joking. Daryl huffed, we walked out staying as still as we could.

I heard a commotion and ran towards it. A man in camo was advancing on Maggie, I shot at him. My arrow embedding itself into his leg. Daryl's into his side. I watched as he flung Daryl into a tree. I jumped him with mt knife in hand but ultimately got the same fate. My vision was blurry, I couldn't see properly.

I groaned and turned to see Daryl getting up, he got ready. Everyone came from out of nowhere, King helped me up. " You're okay." She wiped some blood that dripped from my forehead. " Fuck me." I glanced around, the man stood with an arrow in his chest. " You're one of them right? You attacked our home. Killed my friends, family." Maggie had her bow drawn. " Why'd you do this? We did nothing to you." The man didn't say anything which angered Maggie. " I know it's just you out here. You can answer or die." She raised her bow, aiming at him. He threw his knife down and smirked. " The fuck?" My crossbow was now in hand just in case he tried something.

He muttered something before pulling jis hand out for us to see. He had a grenade pin im hand. I immediately threw myself over King, the explosion shaking the ground. I felt blood splatter on my face and side. " You okay." I asked King who nodded. " Fucking psycho." I muttered watching Maggie start walking away again. I followed in silence, she started whistling.

Before I could ask a little rock came from above and hit her. She glanced up and smiled. " Hey mom." A little boy smiled down at her. I could see the resemblance in him and myself, a smile immediately broke onto my face. Tears forming in my eyes but I held them back. King patted my back as we watched him climb down.

He ran up and hugged her tightly. " Hershel, I've got someone for you to meet." Maggie said smiling st me. I heard king tell Daryl to give us some time, their footsteps receding. " Yeah. She looks like me." He glanced at me. " Hershel I want you to meet Yn. Your Mama." Maggie smiled, tears now streaming down her face. I got onto my knees as the little boy approached. " You said Mama's dead." He sounded confused. I let my hand fall onto his shoulder. " Mom had every right to think so. A bad man shot me but I was saved. By an angel." I told him, I couldn't hold my tears anymore. He started tearing up too, falling into me.

He held the back of my shirt as if I'd disappear if he let go. I did the same. Maggie joined in, covering us like the mother she is.

I finally felt at home, safe. I finally had my wife and son. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. This is it.

This is my home.

000000000000000000000000000000000

Yah, what the fuuuuuck! I can't with this anymore.

Also I think after the next chapter I'ma take a little break. Look back on myself a bit, I'm barely scraping by these days.

~S