Chapter 87 A Guardian Instrument

Qin Haodong was the calmest one among all. He looked at Zhang Wankui. The old man’s mouth was half opened, and his eyes turned dull. He looked like a fool.

It had taken quite a while before Zhang Wankui woke up. He raised his hand and slapped himself twice on his face. He had been digging in the antique industry for half of his life, and he surely knew how valuable the Xuande Censer was. It was the treasure he could only dream of.

Someone sent it at the door of his shop today, asking for only 100,000, but he refused it without hesitation.

He almost wanted to kill himself at the moment. He wanted to grab the shiny Xuande Censer and held it in his arms, taking it as his own possession.

Looking at these enthusiastic onlookers around him, Qin Haodong went towards Qian Duoduo and whispered with a little embarrassment, “Bro, what’s Xuande Censer?”

He did have more than 500 years of experience, and he had seen all kinds of treasures, but those were treasures of the Cultivation World. He knew little about the cultural heritage on earth, and he knew much less about Xuande Censer.

“Let me tell you.” Guo Feng stood up after he heard Qin Haodong. Then he said, “The Emperor Xuande of the Ming Dynasty asked his royal craftsman to design and build a batch of censers based on the famous china simples from Chai Kiln, Ru Kiln, Official Kiln, Ge Kiln, Jun Kiln, Ding Kiln hidden in the palace.”

“To ensure the quality of the censers. The craftsman chose tens of precious metals such as gold and silver and forged them with red copper more than ten times. The finished products looked shiny and translucent. They were craft treasures. There was a long period in history when all bronze censers were called Xuande censer.”

“However, there were only 3,000 censers in total that had been forged during the third year of Xuande period. No censer has produced ever since. All of them were hidden in the forbidden palace. Most people have heard about their stories while few had seen them in person. Now hundreds of years have passed, censers forged during the third year of Xuande period are rarely seen.”

He became sentimental as he talked, “I’ve seen numerous antiques in my whole life, but never have I seen a real Xuande Censer. I feel so lucky today to see it, and I have nothing to regret even if I die now.”

“Director Guo, how much is the Xuande Censer worth?”

Someone was asking the question, and Qin Haodong wanted to know it, too.

Guo Feng continued, “Xuande Censers are priceless. I could only give you the price as a reference. Last year, in an auction in Hong Kong, a Xuande Censer was sold in 25 million.”

“Gosh, 25 million. That’s enough for ordinary people to live for more than their whole life…”

“Trade 25 million with 180,000. The young man can never be luckier…”

“I’ve been burning incense and worshiping Buddha every day at home, why am I not as lucky as him?”

The onlookers were discussing. Another people asked, “Director Guo, is there any chance that the censer is a fake?”

“That’s possible!” All the onlooker’s expression changed as he said that. He continued, “Antiquaries have never stopped imitating Xuande Censer from Xuande in the Ming Dynasty to the Republic of China, in order to make exorbitant profits. After they stopped forging Xuande Censer, some of the officials in charge even summoned the old crafts and tried to imitate according to the design drawings and technical procedures of the real Xuande Censers.

“Those fake ones were almost on a par with the real ones, and even experts failed to tell the difference. There are many Xuande Censers exhibited in big museums in the country, but none of them had been recognized as a real one by the experts. The identification of Xuande Censer has been one of the toughest cases in the domestic archaeological community.”