Chapter Two

No way. It just couldn't be real. I was imagining things. I'd had too much alcohol. With trembling fingers, I opened the email.

Hi Lillette,

I just want to say, I've never heard of a Lillette before. Okay, now that that's out of the way....

I swallowed hard. He hadn't said whether he liked my name, just that he'd never heard it before. I was feeling very scared, but I kept reading.

So, as you know, I am Dan Howell. Your email was very touching, and I'm glad that my videos have helped so much. I agree, it sounds like we do have a lot in common, and I think we would be good friends. I know you said that you live in California, but would there be any chance for you to come to London so we can meet? Forgive me for not giving you my address, but I still don't know how much I can trust you. Please don't take offense. Email back as soon as you can telling me if you can visit!

From,
Dan

It took me a moment to realize that I had my hands clenched into fists. I released them. My knuckles were white.

I had to be dreaming. I pinched myself. Ow. Then it finally sank in.

DAN INVITED YOU TO LONDON!!!!

I closed my laptop immediately, and pretty much fell out of bed. He had sent that last night, almost like he knew it was my birthday. I got to my feet (which really ached) and yanked the door of my room open.

"Jenny?" I croaked. Dear God, let her have stayed the night....

A snore from the living room greeted me.

I staggered down the hall, and arrived in the living room. Jenny was rubbing her eyes, sitting up on the couch. She yawned, her hair a mess. She was in pajamas.

"Jenny!" I croaked again.

"Hmm?" Jenny turned. When she saw me, her eyes widened. "Good god, Lil! You didn't change out of your dress!"

"I know, I know," I said, my voice cracked and gravelly. "Hey, listen, do you have, um, a roommate in London?"

"A flatmate?" She asked.

Right, Jenny is British now, I reminded myself.

"Yeah, that's what I meant," I amended.

"No, it's just me." Jenny shrugged. "But I do have an extra room. Why?"

I swallowed. "Um... well... I found an audition. And it's in London."

Jenny's eyes lit up. "Do you want to move in with me?"

I smiled. "I think that might be an option."

Jenny beamed. She hopped off the couch, and threw her arms around me. "Oh, Lil, I've been wanting you to move in with me ever since I left America!"

I laughed, hugging her back.

Suddenly, Jenny drew away, concern in her eyes. "Wait, Lil, what about Shelby?"

"Oh, don't worry about her," I said dismissively. "She's been hinting that she wants Leo to move in here. She'll be glad I moved. Anyway, let's not talk about her." I lowered my voice, using the gravelly tone for comedic value. "Let's talk about us."

Jenny bust out laughing.

"Alright, missy, what do you have for breakfast?" She asked.

"We have Fruit Loops," I offered.

Jenny laughed again.

"What?" I asked, actually confused this time.

"London doesn't have Fruit Loops," giggled Jenny. "I haven't had them since I was seventeen."

"Well, you're having some now, and I will too," I said, striding past her into the kitchen. "It might be the last time for a while for both of us," I said the last bit pointedly, winking at Jenny.

"Sounds good to me!" She sang, joining me as I poured the colorful loops.

~~

Two days later, it was all arranged. My room was packed, I had emailed Dan, and he had given a date and time and place to meet.

"Bye, Shelby!" I called. She and Leo were standing in the living room.

"Bye, Lil," Shelby whispered. Her eyes were full of tears, but she had a huge smile on her face. "You better come back and visit, missy!" She called after us. Then she added, "Both of you!"

"We will!" Jenny assured her.

Leo came over. "Here, let me help with that," he said, taking some of the boxes from me.

"Thank you," I panted.

"No problem," he shrugged.

We finally were at Jenny's rental car. We loaded as much stuff as we could into the back, and then we put the rest of the stuff in the back seat.

I gave Leo one last hug.

"Thank you for everything, Lil," he whispered in my ear.

"Anytime, Leo," I grinned. Then I lowered my voice. "Got that wedding ring picked out yet?"

Leo turned a deep maroon. Him and Shelby were both older than me by four years. They'd been together since they were twenty-two.

"Bye, Leo!" I chirped, getting into the passenger side. Leo waved goodbye, then turned and walked back into the apartment.

My apartment.

No, I told myself. Not anymore.

And in spite of myself, I grinned.

"You okay?" Jenny asked as she pulled out of the parking lot.

"Fine," I smirked. "Just ready to go home."

We looked at each other.

"Then let's get to the airport!" Jenny said happily, her smile unbreakable.

~~

Eleven uncomfortable hours later, we touched down in London. It was midnight here. We'd left early in the morning, but with the long flight and huge time change, we hadn't arrived until late.

Jenny yawned, helping me get all my stuff from the hold. We grabbed a shuttle out of the airport, then a taxi to Jenny's house. By the time we were finally through airport security and traffic, it was 2 am.

"You can crash on the couch tonight," Jenny mumbled sleepily. "We can set up your room tomorrow."

"Okay," I yawned. "Thanks Jenny."

"Have a pillow," Jenny tossed me one. "Okay, good night. See you in the morning."

As soon as my head touched the pillow, I was out.

I fell asleep in London.