Chapter Thirty-Three

We arrived outside Joe and Caspar's house literally as the clock struck 9 in the evening. The party had officially started.

We parked the car on the curb, stepped out of it, and walked up to the front door. I knocked.

It was quiet for a few moments, then the door opened to reveal Joe, shouting over his shoulder, "--not like it's your party or anything!"

Then he turned, saw us, and his smile could have lit up the darkest cave. "Lillette! Jenny! You made it!"

Joe looked quite sharp. He wore a white shirt with a black blazer over it, then black skinny jeans and white converse. He pulled us into the flat, and offered us something to drink.

"We've got fruit punch, beer, wine, water, milk, sparkling apple cider... no champagne yet, seeing as we're waiting for the toast at midnight. What would you like?"

"Fruit Punch, please, Joe," I said.

"I'm gonna dive in," laughed Jenny. "A beer for me, please!"

He nodded and disappeared upstairs to get the drinks.

We followed him, since we weren't really interested in snooping around Caspar and Joe's bedrooms. Upstairs, music was playing, and at least twenty people were talking, drinking, playing party games, dancing, or just having an all-around good time.

I spotted Chris and Pj talking to Tanya Burr and Jim Chapman. I felt the heat rise in my cheeks, remembering Pj and I's last interaction. Awkward.

Caspar was talking to a boy I recognized as Oli White. He was smiling the classic Caspar Lee smile.

I wondered where Dan and Phil were. Just as I turned to look for them, Joe reappeared with our drinks. "One fruit punch," he said, handing me the reddish beverage. "And one beer." Jenny took the bottle, smirking.

"Enjoy the party!" Joe told us, and walked over to a group of girls that were talking to Marcus and his very pretty girlfriend, Niomi.

Jenny glanced around. "Lotta people here," she commented.

"Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing," I said, sipping my punch. Not bad.

"Hmm... I'm gonna go with an awkward thing." Jenny said.

"There's a case of maltesers on the table over there," I pointed out.

"We're gonna be those guests, are we?" Jenny laughed.

"Sounds fine to me!" I shrugged. We both made a beeline for the sofa, where a glass case held maltesers. We sat down and started stuffing our faces.

After about five minutes, someone poked me in the side. Dan and Phil had arrived. They walked around the sofa and sat down next to us.

"You're pulling a Dan and Phil," Dan commented.

"Huh?" I asked around a mouthful of chocolate.

"As usual, Phil," Dan continued. "We're gonna end up in the corner, alone, eating all the food! Except this time... we have Jenny and Lillette!"

"Yay," Phil said, stuffing his face with a handful of maltesers.

For another five minutes, we made small talk and continued to pig out. Soon, the box was empty.

"Oops," I giggled.

"Hello!"

I looked up. A girl was standing beside the couch. She had long black hair and almond-shaped hazel eyes. Her smile was so brilliant it was almost blinding.