Chapter Thirty-Six

We all stood backstage, screaming and cheering while Seuss and his band performed. They sang three songs, and I was impressed that they had that many already.

Seuss sounded as wonderful as ever. Josh played bass beautifully, Sam kept the beat going, and Greg kept a wonderful melody like a backbone. When they finished, they waved goodbye and walked back to us.

I was getting confused. Where were One Direction?

Seuss, Sam, Josh, and Greg all sat down on a couch in the room. They exchanged knowing looks.

"Guys?" I asked. "Where's One Direction?"

"Everyone wants a big entrance," Greg smirked.

I was confused by this, but not for long. Smoke suddenly started billowing from hidden smoke machines, flooding the stage. Colorful lights flashed on the darkening sky. A firework exploded overhead, and that mixed with the smoke temporarily blinded us with white light.

When our visions cleared, Harry, Liam, Niall, Louis, and Zayn (A/N: yes, I know he's gone. Sssh, it's a story.) hovered over the stage. Slowly, they lowered down, and this feet touched the wooden boards.

I expected some sort of hello. But, nope!

"Straight off a plane
To a new hotel!"

Harry jumped right in with Midnight Memories. By the time the chorus came on, I was so pumped with adrenaline that my mind was numb. I just screamed and sang at the top of my lungs. Dan and Joe were fist-pumping and singing.

"You and me and all our friends,
I don't care how much we spend,
Baby that's just what the night
Is fo-o-o-or!
I know nothing's making sense,
For tonight let's just pretend,
I don't wanna stop so just give me
Mo-o-o-ore!"

"GO NIALL!" I screamed.

Dan nudged me. "Don't you mean Go Joe?"

"Huh?" I asked.

Niall had pointed offstage to Joe, who looked flabbergasted. Harry, who was closest, tossed Joe a microphone. Joe caught it and joined in with the last round of the chorus. When the song was over, Louis patted him on the back, and Joe headed back to us, looking stunned.

"Hello, Londooooon!" Harry shouted into his mic.

Lots of screaming girls responded.

"We hope you're having a good night!" Zayn cried. "And maybe we can make a bad night good, or a good night even better!"

More screaming.

"Enough talk!" Liam told his bandmates. "Let's sing!"

And so they started in with Where Do Broken Hearts Go.

Caspar, Marcus, Alfie, and Joe had linked arms and were singing. At one point, Marcus stopped. "Where's Jim? This isn't right."

"I know!" Alfie complained.

"Zoe," Joe turned on his sister. "Why didn't you invite Jim and Tan?"

Zoe shrugged, bouncing on the balls of her feet. "I'm sorry, Joey. I forgot!"

"Some friend you are!" Scoffed Caspar.

"Shut up, Caspar!" I shouted. "We're here to have a good time!"

"She's right," Marcus admitted.

They didn't say another word.

After that song was Kiss You.