Chapter Twenty-Five

"I don't want to go! When will I see you again?"

Shelby and I were hugging, both bawling. It was the next day, and Shelby and Leo were boarding a flight. They were spending their honeymoon in Croatia. Dan, Phil, Jenny, and I were leaving on November 1, so we'd be spending Halloween in LA. I won't lie, I was excited. Dan told me it was childish, but I didn't care. We were going trick-or-treating!

"I don't know," I sniffled, looking at Shelby. "But you have to give me a call if you're ever in London!"

"Definitely," Shelby said firmly. "And you have to tell me if you are ever passing through LA!"

"Shelly!"

Shelby turned. Leo was beckoning her, his suitcase in his hand. "Shelly, we're gonna be late!"

"Ohhhh," whined Shelby, returning to face me. "I don't want to leave you again."

"Come on, Shelby," I said bravely, forcing a smile. "Leo will treat you way better than I ever did! He loves you. Now, go. Enter this new chapter of your life. You're supposed to be going into the best years of your life!"

Shelby laughed through her tears. "Alright, Lil. I'm going. But take your own advice!" She lowered her voice. "A guy like Dan only comes around once in a lifetime. If you let him go, I'll hit you." Then she returned to her normal, perky self. "Bye, Lillette! Kiss, kiss. I'll text you later!" She hugged me one more time, then broke away and started running towards Leo.

He pulled his new wife under his arm, turned, and waved goodbye to the four of us. Right before they disappeared into the airport, Shelby turned around and shouted, "This was the most fun I've ever had!" Then they were gone.

I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. She did not just say that! Ohhhh, Shelby!!

I knew that they wouldn't be able to hear me, but I still screamed in their direction, "That was not okay!"

~~

"Hullo, Mister and Missus Mason," Phil said politely. "It's a pleasure."

Jenny's parents had caught wind that we were staying in a hotel, and they were not okay with it. They'd insisted that the four of us come stay at their two-story, four-bedroom house, deaf to our protests.

Jenny's mum, Shaye, smiled warmly at Phil. "Hello, Phillip. We've heard lots about you."

"Mum," Jenny said.

Her dad, Kyle, shook Phil's hand. "So, you're Phil Lester. Hmm, you're tall. Good pick, Jennifer. The taller the husband the more likely it is that we'll have many grandki--"

"Okay, yes, that's nice!" Jenny said, louder this time. "Well, I'll lead Dan and Phil upstairs." She shot the boys an apologetic glance. "You'll have to share a bed, sorry, fellas."

"No, no, that's not necessary," Shaye said quickly. "We've set up the rooms already. Jennifer, you and Phillip are sharing the guest bedroom, and Daniel and Lillette can have the second bedroom."

"Mum, are you serious?" Shouted Jenny.

"100%!" Kyle said sternly.

"Ugh!" Jenny groaned. "You guys are impossible. Come on, Phil."

She dragged her boyfriend upstairs, so Dan and I grabbed out suitcases, following.

"Here's your guys' bedroom," Jenny told Dan and I, shooting me an I'm sorry look. She opened the door, and I didn't even look inside before grabbing my suitcase and lugging it inside. Dan followed me. I dropped my suitcase off inside, then looked up. My jaw dropped.