"You and me, the last ones standing" -Taegyu

This includes: Angst, MCD
They say that the best defeat and death to experience is if the last moment before it is spent with your loved one.
Can Beomgyu and Taehyun prove that in this apocalyptic world that is crumbling as they speak?
Perhaps... yes.

A Taegyu oneshot inspired by IU's Love Wins All MV for my dear friend Mira entxtmoa 🤍

-

🎶: 'Love Wins All' by IU

Happiness is a butterfly.

Have you ever heard those words?

You might have— it's the title of a very popular Lana Del Rey song that you might've heard somewhere online.

But what weight do those words hold, what do they mean?

How can happiness be a butterfly?

Well, butterflies come and go as they please, flapping gracefully in the wind around you, until they look for the next person to fly around with.

It's just like happiness.

Some people are lucky, as the butterfly hovers around them longer than expected, meaning they have more frequent happiness, or at least episodes of it.

Others... aren't not as fortunate or lucky.

Some cannot experience the butterfly of happiness because it never came to them, or it only hovered around them for just a brief moment before flying away freely.

The only thing hovering about Beomgyu and Taehyun was a menacing gray box that was flying at full speed above them, as the two quite literally ran for their lives down on the ground below.

Hand in hand, the two young men were sprinting down the muddy abandoned road, not stopping to take in their surroundings.

Taehyun could only spare a couple occasional glances as he was far too focused on running, pulling Beomgyu along with him.

He remembered this area.

What once used to be a lush green park filled with life and beauty, as wildflowers used to grow wildly and carefreely in the tall dewy grass, crisp olive leaves sprouted out of their buds every time spring was welcomed to the world, and the wooden benches housed the elderly holding their jolly conversations... all of that was now gone.

In its place was the shorn, scorched grass that had been trampled down by the stampedes of people trying to escape, the leafless trees that stood like miserable stumps with their ebony branches against the dusty, cloudy sky, and everything was silent.

Silent except for the cursed sounds their feet made as they crunched against the dead ground.

Taehyun came to an abrupt stop when he spotted a nearby plaza, catching his breath that came out in short pants. Beomgyu too stopped, holding his chest as he tried to regulate the rapid inhales and exhales coming out of his lips.

His red rimmed eyes darted across the area, scanning it before looking at the sky, seeing that the box had taken off in another direction.

"Let's go over there," Taehyun signed to Beomgyu.

Beomgyu nodded, his grip on Taehyun's hand tightening as they hurried to the only means of shelter at the moment, passing by the lapping river nearby.

As the two stepped foot into the plaza, which was a composition of rundown shops and buildings surrounding a plaster cobblestone ground, the two were met with a harrowing sight.