Chapter 1: Work Sucks

"Mandy, it's 8:30 in the morning....WAKE UP!!!"  (Yes, this is how my typical Monday mornings start, my best friend Roxy yelling at me.) "Oh CRAP!!! I didn't even hear the alarm!" I yelled back.  I jumped out of bed as fast as I could and rushed to the bathroom.  I can hear Roxy outside the door, "If you would of bought that cool alarm then this wouldn't happen so often now would it?" she said. "Now why would I need an alarm with all kinds of lights and sirens when I have you to yell at me every Monday?" I shot back with a chuckle. "Just hurry up before your late again," she scolded. I quickly put my long brown hair in a ponytail and through on some jeans, a batman shirt and my black skater shoes.

"You have no fashion sense at all do you?" Roxy said looking me up and down. I grabbed an apple from there counter and took a huge bite sending juice all over. "And no eating manners," Roxy said wiping apple juice from the counter. I just laughed and said, "I work at a gas station why the hell would I need to dress fashionable?" I sat there for a moment and thought, I am 28 and have no boyfriend or any sort of love interest. Just as I thought that my cat Bane came over and nudged me purring at my leg. "And that's why I don't need a man, I have you!" I said picking him up and nuzzling him. "Girl, you need a man and some new clothes, and maybe a new hair do." Roxy said laughing. "Pffffft, I need nothing....SHIT but I need to get to work NOW or im going to need a new job." I said rushing out the door to my car.

My job was only about 10 minutes from my house. I hated my job, I mean who can say they love working at a gas station? I smell like gasoline all day long, I get treated like everything that goes wrong is my fault and the men that come in there, yuck! No wonder I don't have a boyfriend, this town sucks. I need a new job, a new life, a new....everything. Maybe Roxy was right, my life needs a whole makeover. ::Ding Ding:: The door rang as one of our regular customers, John, came in. "Hey Mandy girl, how's life treatin ya kid?" "Ahh well, my job sucks, my best friend wants to turn me into a girly girl and I realize the only guy I'll ever love is my cat." I said, half serious half joking. John looked at me and said, "SO your having an ok day then, huh?" I laughed and said, "Ya better then most Johnny boy."

It was finally 6 pm and I was getting ready to clock out and head home. I was going to my car when my phone buzzed. "Hello?" I said. "Mandy? hey, its your Aunt Grace!"  I haven't spoke to my aunt in over 9 years. She lives in NY, so I don't get to see her often or talk to her. "How are you Aunt Grace?" "Oh I am fine honey, I was calling to see if you were coming to the family reunion?" she said. I sat there and thought, family reunion? How do I never know about this stuff earlier? "Mandy, you there?" I snapped back, "Oh yes, sorry. Um when is the reunion? I didn't even know about it." "Next weekend, here in Staten Island." she said with hope in her voice. I sat and thought about it..."Sure can I bring my friend with me? 4 hour drive alone kinda sucks." She replied happily, "Oh yes! That will be fine!" She gave me her address and we said our goodbyes.

I rushed home to tell Roxy the good news and she was just as excited as I was. We needed a little vacation and nowhere better then NY. I haven't been to Staten Island before, my Aunt had moved there couple years ago but I never got to visit her yet. This is going to be so exciting, I just hope this week goes by quick!