It's all about sex... [Student/Teacher] - Chapter Four

-- Jai’s POV

I was in the driver’s seat when Claire left the house. Her mousy brown hair pulled into a pony tail, she wore no make up. Her eyes were the same colour as her hair. Honestly, when we married she was beautiful. Now, she had let herself go and she didn’t wear makeup. I do love her. Don’t get me wrong. It’s just that we married when we was 17. I was in college, just choosing to go to Manchester Metropolitan University and then we found out she was pregnant with Damon…

I snapped myself out of it. She climbed in and gave me a quick peck on the cheek.

“Hi” she said.

“Hey” we sat in silence as I made the journey towards the Jonnes’ household. I sighed to myself. It was hard to see where the cracks in our relationship have appeared. It just seemed to come from no where. The arguments, the name calling, just everything, when I had gotten offered to teach down in London we had had a massive argument, I wanted to move down there permanently and send our kids to the schools down there. But Claire didn’t want to leave her family and I now live five out of the seven days down in London and spend the weekend up in Manchester. It was tiring; if we hadn’t had the kids I wouldn’t have been able to hack it. But when I come home on a Friday evening and put them to bed it’s so worth the five hour drive. And the earache I get from Claire.

I drove in silence. I wasn’t in the mood to argue with her. I could feel the tension emanating from her. She wasn’t happy, and I’m going to get a mouthful when we were alone. After around 10 minutes of silent driving, well as silent as you can when you have two kids in the back, Claire turned down the radio.

“Jai…” I knew it. I knew she was going to say anything. “Why are going these people’s house where we barely know them?”

“I told you Claire, the kids really hit it off and they are a lovely couple. And they were nice enough to invite us for dinner so the kids could play together more. Is that so wrong?”

“No.” She huffed. She was then silent again for a further five minutes.

“Jai?”

“Yes Claire?”

“Is this because you fancy that student that’s in your class?” I almost crashed the car. I swear I did.

“What makes you say that?” My voice was like steel.

“Well you said it’s a ‘she’ on the phone. And you seem pretty intent on going over to this house. And I’m wondering if there is any ulterior motive behind it.” I waited to be at a traffic light before turning round. I said in a low but clear voice.

“Claire, I am going there with our children because made friends. And I thought it was a good thing. And they have a boy and girl. It’s just coincidence that they have a daughter that’s in one of my classes. So don’t be stupid and try at least to get on with them.” And with that I turned the radio up, and carried on driving. Within minutes we had arrived. I got out of the car, pulled Damon and Jenni from their car seats. Within seconds of them being placed on the ground they had run to the front door and already rung the doorbell. Sighing to myself, I walked forwards, listening to Claire getting out of the car. As soon as the car door was slammed shut, I pressed the alarm to lock the car. I walked up to the door, feeling Claire’s hand wrap round mine. I was annoyed. She always had to make people see us as the ‘perfect’ couple. She was really starting to irritate me. Oh well, better get the show moving. As we reached the door, there stood Oliver, waving madly to Damon.

“Hello?” I called and rapped my knuckles on the door. “Katie? Thomas?”

“There you are Jai. I just saw Oliver run into the back garden with Damon, so I figured you had arrived. Ah, this must be your lovely wife. ‘ello dear, I’m Katie and this is my husband Thomas, the little boy you saw with your lad is Damon and his sister is called Hayden.” She said all of this while holding her hand out. Claire silently shook Katie’s hand and smiled to Thomas.