Chapter Three - The Hunter Awakens

The Hunter Awakens

Vincent awoke to bright light glaring into his eyes. He cursed roughly and tried to roll over. Agonizing pain shot up his arm at the movement and he stiffened. Opening his eyes he blinked against the sunlight pouring in through an open window.

He was in a small cottage, with stone walls and dark wood beams. Frowning he took in the unfamiliar surroundings. The cottage was warm, the smell of lavender and honeysuckle hanging lightly in the air. He supposed it would be considered charming, if it wasn't for all the clutter and junk piled over the floor and furniture.

A soft sigh sounded next to him. Tensing he glanced down and glowered. There was a small woman sleeping in a chair beside him. She was hunched over, her arms crossed over the side of the bed with her head resting on top.

Vincent sneered at the girl. She appeared weak and feeble, neither traits he found desirable. She was a tiny thing; he doubted she would reach past his chest standing upright. Her body was slim, with surprisingly wide hips and a narrow waist. A thick strand of hair covered her face. It was light blonde, cascading down her back, nearly to the floor and braided in places.

With a scowl he reached over and lifted the offending lock of hair. He inspected her features with a mixture of boredom and slight disdain. She had a heart-shaped face, with soft lips. Freckles dotted lightly across her pink cheeks and over a small petite nose. He supposed she would be considered pretty, if not for the horridly thick round glasses lying askew on her nose.

The girl suddenly stiffened, big silver eyes blinking open behind her glasses. She stared at him for half a second before letting out a small yelp of surprise, jumping back in her chair so hard it fell over backwards, sending the small woman rolling in a heap of skirts onto the floor.

Vincent raised a brow, torn between laughing and groaning.

"You startled me." She struggled back to her feet, blushing brightly as she wiped at her plain white dress. It was a nice enough dress, Vincent supposed. Cinching just under her breasts, which were fuller than he'd expected for such a tiny frame, before flaring out around her waist.

He lowered his gaze, following her skirts down to her bare feet.

"Are you alright?" she asked softly, rushing over to him. Her scent struck him and he growled, stopping the girl in her tracks. It was divine, making his head swim.

Fuck!

His gaze shot back up to her face as he glared at her. She sucked in a breath, standing up straighter and swallowing nervously.

So the girl was timid. His wolf stirred. It had been so long since he'd felt its presence Vincent almost let it, but thought better of it and forced it down. As a dominant werewolf he was preternaturally attracted to submissive females. It was wholly irritating.

"Who the hell are you and how did I get here?" he demanded roughly, his voice cracking slightly from disuse.

She flinched and glanced around nervously. "Uh...I...you..." she stammered before falling silent.

"Listen, I don't mean to frighten you." He exhaled slowly, running a hand through his hair and pushing it back from his face. Vincent winced as his arm throbbed with pain from the movement. He stared down at his injured bicep, cleanly bandaged. "Did you do this, girl?" he asked, gripping his forearm as he inspected her work.

The girl nodded, biting her lip.

"Surprised you didn't just cut it off," he murmured softly.

She cleared her throat, fidgeting with a ribbon on her dress. "It was pretty bad, but...you said you didn't want me to take it."