Chapter Twenty-Three - Evelyn the Wolf Rider

AN: These next two chapters are by far my favorites. God, I have the best imagination!!

Evelyn the Wolf Rider

"You can't be serious?" Eve gawked at Vincent's wolf, shaking her head. "No way."

Vincent growled, lying beside her on the ground. He tossed his head towards his back and gave another growl.

The wolf wanted her to ride him! A shot of excitement ran through her. The very idea was thrilling but also a bit intimidating. "What if I fall off?"

Vincent rolled his eyes and snorted. He gave another deep growl, his claws digging into the dirt.

Eve laughed. "Okay, okay." She couldn't believe she was going to do this! Vincent's effect on her was shocking. The Evelyn from before would never have considered doing this.

Maybe not so meek anymore, she thought happily.

Her body humming with excitement she gripped his fur and tried to pull herself onto his back. He was too high off the ground, her feet scrambling against him for purchase. Vincent placed his massive head under her foot, giving her a boost. Sitting on his back she settled herself between his shoulder-blades, her legs pressed tightly against his sides. Wrapping her hands around tuffs of his thick fur she held on tightly. "Is this okay?"

Vincent heaved his body off the ground. Eve yelped, clutching tighter at his fur.

His shoulders shook with laughter.

"Stop laughing!" she huffed. If her firm grip on his fur hurt he gave no indication, standing tall and straight. When he started to move she gave another squeal. "Don't go fast!"

He snorted.

"Shut up!"

Despite his obvious amusement at her expense Vincent moved through the forest at an easy gate, giving her time to adjust. The full moon shined brightly, lighting up the night. There was a chill in the air but Vincent's body seemed to permeate with heat, warming her. She settled a bit more comfortably on his back with a sigh, a smile spreading across her lips.

The wolf jumped over a tree stump, never breaking his stride. Eve let out a laugh of delight, her heart jumping. Vincent released a pleased howl, picking up speed. She leaned closer against him on instinct, his massive body moving with fluid grace over the forest floor. They reached a clearing and the wolf broke out into a full run. Eve squealed, hanging on with a grin. The world passed by in a blur, trees and brush whizzing by. They reached a river, Vincent jumping clean over the flowing water and landing gracefully on the other side.

"Vincent!" she laughed, pure exhilaration coursing through her veins.

He howled with pleasure.

They ran for miles and miles, Vincent eating up the distance with ease. Never had she felt so free. She would have been content to travel like this all night. Maybe even forever. As long as she was with her wolf.

When they reached the edge of a cliff Vincent stopped. The moon shined high above, the forest landscape and distance mountains stretching into the horizon.

"This is beautiful," she murmured. "Can we stay?"

Lying down on the cliff Vincent growled. Evelyn slid down, her teeth jarring as she hit the ground a bit too fast. Standing by the cliff edge she sighed. Vincent sat close behind her, his thick fur warming her like a blanket. The moonlight shone on his black coat and blue eyes, making him look ethereal and dangerous.