Chapter Thirty-Nine - The Face of True Madness

The Face of True Madness

Vincent stormed to the courtyard steps, his face hard with rage. The enemy had already broken into the courtyard, his pack fighting against sickly pale creatures, their skin decayed and patched. As they attacked their movements were unnatural and jerky, cloudy eyes staring into nothingness.

Victoria gasped. "Ghouls."

Levina scrunched up her nose. "Oh my, how disgusting."

More appeared, teleporting inside the courtyard in large groups. With gargled howls they dispersed and attacked.

"Shit," Stephan said tightly, "there must be cracks in the ward."

Nicholas let out a demented laugh. "Finally." Rushing towards a ghoul the mercenary easily dispatched the creature with his blades. Grinning like a mad man he attacked another, dark eyes gleaming.

Vincent clenched his jaw. "He's insane."

"You have no idea," Sebastian replied dryly.

Black clouds appeared in the night sky, blackening out the stars. The darkness was unnatural and ominous, the air filled with the scent of decay. His wolf pawed at his mind, itching to turn.

Evil waits.

Beside him Sebastian hissed in a breath, confirming his suspicions. "Necromancers. A lot of them."

Unnatural.

"A group of powerful necro's is enough to rival even me," Levina warned.

"They've got witches too," Chloe stated. "Those little bitches. Consorting with necromancers. This goes against The Order."

Grace crossed her arms. "Who do you think commands them, young one?"

Chloe scowled. Before she could respond a ghoul broke from the battle, leaping through the air and landing directly in front of the pink-haired witch. As the creature moved to strike Bane snatched it by the throat, crushing its neck with a snap and tossing the limp body away.

"Prick," Bane spat.

"Those bastards," Chloe said softly. Her hands clenched, her fists glowing with a strange dark light.

Grace's eyes widened, her familiar chirping over her shoulder. "That power..."

Glaring over at the berserker Chloe ordered, "Kill them all, chevalier."

Bane turned demonic with a roar as he unsheathed his broadsword. The claws of his free hand tore off his shirt, the fabric ripping under his bulging muscles. The two took off into the courtyard, Chloe's flames lighting up the night as Bane's sword cleaved any enemy that neared.

"That witch..." Grace mumbled.

"Ah, so you felt it too," Levina remarked coyly. "Perhaps summoning Bane as her familiar wasn't an accident after all."

An arrow of blue light flew through the air, taking a ghoul's head clean off. Everyone turned to Evelyn with raised brows. In her hand she held a bow contrived of a light. It cackled and flickered. Summoning another arrow Evelyn notched it easily, her features stern. "You all just going to stand there?"

Both Vincent and Levina grinned, his wolf growling with pride.

Our mate is powerful. Our enemies will fall before her.

Evelyn released another arrow. It struck a pack of ghoul's dead center, exploding on impact and sending the creatures hurtling through the air.

Levina mused, "You have corrupted my niece, wolf."