Chapter Forty-Two - The Hunter's Queen - End

The Hunter's Queen

One month later. The Elf Realm, Alfheimr.

Vincent scrunched his nose. The near overwhelming scent of flowers permeating his senses. Strange little orbs of light floated around him, varying in colors, lighting up the darkness with an ethereal glow.

The elf realm, Alfheimr, was a strange world indeed.

All around him ancient trees reached high into the sky, the lush canopy blocking out the stars. Their trunks were massive, the elves homes built right into the twisting branches and thick trunks. He had to admit it was a beautiful place. Peaceful and serene.

So much so it set him on edge.

Evelyn was beaming, her emotions washing over him. She loved it here, loved every tree, flower, and strange little creature that scurried by. His mate was a vision in white, the floating orbs aglow around her like diamonds. She'd left her hair down, the long locks and braids cascading over back and hips. Her white gown was simple and elegant, soft lace that clung to her curves and trailed behind her body. Her shoulders were bare, a long line of pearl buttons running down the back of her dress and over the curve of her backside.

She put all other females to shame.

Vincent was pleased Evelyn was recovering from her grief. His mate had suffered in the past and she knew loss, but it was entirely different to lose a pack member, to physically feel a life end as their connection was severed. It left an emptiness that could never be filled. He hated that she had to go through that, he never wanted her to feel pain.

He'd failed her in this, but for now, his mate was happy.

When Queen Victoria had invited them to her coronation Vincent had been hesitant to attend. He still felt unease around the Demon King and his subjects, trust being a hard thing to earn and the past difficult to forget. But his Evelyn had insisted. In the past months his mate and the elf queen had become close, Evelyn often going to visit Victoria despite his protests. Several times Vincent had been stunned to find a beaming Victoria sitting with his mate in the pallor of Hearthshire, drinking tea as if the she-elf had done so for centuries.

Vincent knew the familiarity between the two bothered the Demon King as well, however both of them had grudgingly accepted their female's friendship. Their mates had left them no other choice.

And it made sense for them to attend the coronation. Many prominent figures were in attendance for Victoria's coronation. Attending such ceremonies was necessary to form alliances as the new King of the Alphas.

Taking a deep drink of wine Vincent let his eyes travel around him. Long tables were placed in a square around a wooden platform, elves dancing and stomping their feet, some singing joyfully – and drunkenly- in elvish. Loud drums beat a heated tempo through the trees, the sound echoing within his chest, joined occasionally by flutes and strings.

Queen Victoria and King Sebastian sat at the head table. Victoria was dressed in an elegant dress of glimmering gold silk. On her head was adorned a diamond encrusted crown, the design of thinly spun gold twisting and threading together, both intricate and regal.

King Sebastian was dressed in a velvet sapphire jacket, gold vest and dark trousers. He was laughing at something the she-elf Mia murmured in his ear. In this moment the berserker looked very much a king. His black horns shined in the strange light, a circular gold crown resting on his head.

The rest of the Ascended were in attendance as well, seated around the food laden tables. The only exception was Nicholas Storm and Mags. Rumor had it the mercenary was tracking down one of the Lockhart clan taken by Lord Ivan. Vincent didn't miss his presence in the slightest. However, he had to admit he missed the seer. He knew Mags had been struggling greatly with her visions, it would have been too dangerous for her to attend.