Chapter Twenty-Five - Nicholas Reaches the Edge

Nicholas Reaches the Edge

North Yorkshire, England

"You're practically climbing up the walls," Jasper mused, watching Nicholas as he paced with irritation. The spectral demon cocked his head, scratching one of his black horns.

Nicholas ran a hand through his hair, muttering to himself. It had been weeks since his encounter with Levina and still no word from the fucking mystic. The sorceress had vowed to provide him with the location of Vincent, but on her terms.

Now he waited. Nicholas was many things, a patient man wasn't one of them. He was on edge, ready for a fight, with no enemy to vent his frustrations on.

The bitch.

"Should I turn?" Jasper asked jokingly. Nicholas rolled his eyes. As a spectral demon Jasper could turn completely incorporeal, a particular talent that had not only saved him from many of the Demon Kings rages, but a few of Nicholas' as well.

"You know I hate waiting. Levina has the information I want."

The vampire Charles Lockhart smiled, resting an ankle over his knee as he sat and watched Nicholas pace a hole in his expensive Persian rug. The Pure One - a vampire that never fed from the vein - resembled a disheveled angel. His short blonde hair was tousled, his white shirt wrinkled in places. "Levina will keep to her word."

Nicholas snorted, stopping to poor himself a glass of brandy. "Mystics. Meddlesome creatures, the lot of them."

Charles chuckled. "Have you met many?"

He stiffened at that, casting a weary eye at the vampire. There were certain aspects of his past best kept secret, and that was one of them. "Isn't one enough?"

Crossing his arms Jasper leaned his hip against the back of the couch with a grin. It was an elegant couch, dark red velvet, some kind of Victorian design with buttons. Nicholas liked it. He appreciated all aspects of Grey Manor, home of the Lockhart vampire clan. Since Charles had claimed Jasper as his mate Nicholas found himself visiting here often. He couldn't complain, since it was conveniently located by the witch estate, Elm Moore.

Nicholas also enjoyed visiting the vampires themselves. Grey Manor was strangely welcoming. The Gothic design, warm atmosphere, and aged style were inviting. The manor was more than just a central location for the clan, but a home.

Vampire clans tended to focus on strength in numbers, the bigger the clan the more to fear. The Lockhart's were different. There were only five of them, not including Jasper. They were highly skilled, coordinated, and loyal to a fault. The end result was a tight unit of vampires with skills that gave the Lockhart's an edge over a clan of fifty.

More importantly they were a family. Once a Lockhart always a Lockhart.

"If you're that on edge you and I can go a round?" the vampire Damian Lockhart drawled. The Forsaken sat on top of a closed piano, keeping to the shadows, his black hair and blood red eyes giving him a sinister appearance.

Nicholas shot the Forsaken a scowl. "Don't tempt me."

Damian shrugged. "Anytime, merc." His red eyes held a promise. Nicholas shook his head, his lips twitching. Upon first meeting the red-eyed vampire Nicholas had taken an instant liking to him. Of all the creatures Nicholas had met in his long life Damian reminded him most of himself. It was almost unnerving, as if he were staring at a dark reflection.

The Forsaken was also a pure-blood, which meant strong as fuck. A battle between them would be glorious.

"Where's this sister of yours?" Nicholas asked. He'd heard plenty of rumors about Damian's sister Alexandria, but had yet to meet her. The two of them were twins. Pure-bloods alone were a rarity, twins were unheard of. He couldn't deny his curiosity. Alexandria was rumored to be just as deadly as her brother, a skilled swords-woman to be feared. Nicholas liked her already.