Chapter Ten - Giving in to Temptation

Giving in to Temptation

Eve watched with trepidation as Vincent walked towards the dark forest. He stopped a few feet from her, turning to give her a stern look. Pointing a finger at her Vincent said firmly, "Stay."

Eve couldn't help the smile tugging at her lips as he disappeared into the night. The wolf was worried she'd run off? As if! The woods were dark and unfamiliar; she'd probably walk right off a cliff.

Gnawing her lip Eve rubbed at her chilled arms and glanced around, straining to listen for any movement or signs of trouble. The only sounds were that of waves breaking against stone and the occasional rustle of leaves.

So quiet. Was that normal? Fear began to work its way into her mind. She tried to brush it off. She was being ridiculous. Instinct told her Vincent would never just leave her to fend for herself. Just as it told her no matter how big and scary he might appear he would never hurt her.

Her hand touched the amulet, the ruby cold against her fingers. She knew enchanted items were rare and expensive, yet he'd given it to her so easily. If there was trouble could she really just leave him?

Would Evelyn the Meek run away from the only man-

Vincent emerged from the shadows like a ghost. Eve jumped a good two feet, cutting off a strangled scream.

Shaking his head the werewolf chuckled. "Always so jumpy."

"I didn't even hear you."

"That's the point, sweetheart." Reaching her Vincent nuzzled her hair. "Were you frightened without me?"

"N-No," she lied.

"You're a bad liar," he growled. His warm hands ran over her body, sending shock waves of desire coursing through her, before he gave himself a hard shake and pulled away. "Come, it's safe."

He expected her to walk after that?

Taking her hand Vincent pulled her along, guiding her through the woods as she fought to calm her hammering heart. She tried not to focus too much on how rough his palm was, or how good it felt having her small hand encased in his much larger stronger one.

After only a couple of feet they broke through the forest and onto a winding path running along a cliff. The stars sparkled high above as the ocean crashed below. Further along the path loomed a large estate, the lights warm and beckoning.

Eve stopped so she could take it all in, tugging on Vincent's hand. The landscape was beautiful.

"What's wrong?" Vincent asked.

"Nothing, it's just really pretty." Lifting her face she took a deep breath, the ocean spray cool against her skin, leaving droplets of water on her glasses.

"Next time I'll bring you during the day," Vincent stated gruffly.

Looking up at him she gave the wolf a wide goofy smile. "It smells like the ocean."

An odd look crossed his face, before breaking out into a drop-dead gorgeous grin, his sharp teeth flashing in the moonlight. "Aye."

Her heart seriously was going to stop.

Don't look at him!

She went to swallow, screwed it up, and started choking. Half-coughing, half-sputtering, she slipped off her glasses, cleaning them as an excuse to right herself.

Vincent let her, waiting patiently. "All set?"

Blushing she nodded. "I'm good."

Taking her hand again they headed towards the compound. It was surrounded by a high stonewall with wrought iron spires and crawling ivy. As they grew closer she realized there were several outer buildings.