Chapter Fourteen - The Wolf and the Alchemist Converse

The Wolf and the Alchemist Converse

"What do you mean she's gone?"

Vincent smiled smugly, leaning back in his chair. Evelyn was sitting up in bed, her long hair disheveled, stray locks falling over her eyes. She had a half-asleep look about her that was beyond fucking adorable.

"Levina has business elsewhere." Standing he approached the bed. Evelyn watched his every step, her cheeks flushing. His shirt was tossed over an armchair, his feet still bare. The top button of his trousers were undone and he didn't miss the way Eve's eyes dipped downward before shooting back up to his face as she licked her lips. He shot hard as hell and nearly groaned. He knew she was remembering last night.

Vincent could still fucking taste her.

Clearing her throat Evelyn said huskily, "It's not like her to just leave."

"I'm sure it's nothing," he managed to rumble.

"But, I need supplies and I have orders to fill."

Sighing, he reached down, cupping her chin. "I'll buy you whatever you need. Just make me a list."

"What about my customers?"

"I'm sure they can wait. It isn't safe."

"Why not?"

Shit, she would ask that. His lips pressed into a thin line. "Evelyn."

Her brow furrowed. "Is it the Legion?"

Damn, she was clever. He didn't want to keep this from her, but part of him worried about her reaction. Stepping back he relented. "Aye. The Mad One knows I survived. The Legion is on the hunt for me." He watched her face closely. A mixture of emotions flashed in her eyes, the most prominent fear.

Taking a deep breath she seemed to think a moment before nodding. "Okay. So, it's safer inside the wards."

"Levina assured me the Legion can't find me here." He brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes, adding cautiously, "If you allow me stay."

Evelyn gave him an odd look. "Why wouldn't I let you stay?"

"I'd be putting you at risk."

Plucking at the blankets she blushed. "You would protect me though, right?"

He couldn't stop the deep feral growl in his chest. His wolf practically fucking roared. Pushing her down Vincent straddled her hips, pinning her hands above her head. Evelyn submitted immediately, lying beneath him with a whimper. It set his whole damn body on fire. His wolf snarled, raging to have her.

Fuck, but his wolf had grown strong, any day - any moment - it would wake. And it wanted this woman above anything else. Nothing else mattered anymore. Not his enemies, not his revenge, not even his endgame. His whole world was shifting, and the center of it was staring up at him with wide silver eyes full of need.

"Aye," he grated, "I'll protect you. I'd fucking kill for you."

"Vincent," she breathed, "you can't say things like that."

Scowling his gaze flittered over her features. "And why not, Evelyn? If anyone ever tried to harm you I would kill them without hesitation. Never doubt this"

She swallowed hard. "I can't think."

He knew he was overwhelming her. Vincent backed off, despite the desire coursing through him. Leaning down he kissed the top of her forehead, easing off the bed. "I made breakfast. Hungry?"