Chapter Twenty-One - Sleeping With a Wolf

Sleeping With a Wolf

Evelyn glanced up from her book, just catching a glimpse of black moving through the forest. She knew it was Vincent. He always patrolled around the cottage. It was comforting to know he was there, watching her, protecting her.

Knowing that she was now a Legion target frightened her.

She lifted her face to the sun, closing her eyes as the golden rays warmed her skin. Spring was finally here. It amazed her how quickly the land could change. One day the world was snow and ice, the next it was all but melted, replaced by patches of green grass.

Eve wondered if Vincent would come lie in the sun today. He often did, keeping to the edge of the clearing. His wolf seemed to love the sun, stretching out under the warm rays to rest while she watched him from afar. He never shifted out of wolf form and never spoke to her but she knew he enjoyed being near her.

This had become their normal.

In the weeks since he'd declared she was his mate Vincent had been good to his word. He kept his distance from her, but he was always close by. It eased her mind and brought her peace.

Even still she missed him.

Never had she felt so torn. Eve struggled with Vincent's nature, fighting to understand him. She still couldn't fathom that she was his mate. It haunted her every waking moment, and when she slept it haunted her dreams. Even though logic warned her a mate bond was forever, that it wasn't a decision to take lightly, her heart was already decided. Eve wanted to be his so badly, but each time she thought to go to him fear and painful memories would overtake her, leaving her shaking on the floor.

Evelyn the Meek. Her jaw ticked. Fuck that title. Fuck the ones that did this to her, that left her damaged.

There came a soft rustling sound. Opening her eyes her silver gaze was met with piercing blue. Vincent stood at the edge of the clearing, soft wisps of black smoke curling around his giant paws. His massive wolf always took her breath away. She would stare at him for hours, her fingers itching to touch his fur. Would it be soft or rough?

He took a cautious step towards her, then another. She watched him, her hands tightening around her book. He'd never come this close before. The wolf paused and lowered his head, his ears back. He made a soft whining sound, then took a few more steps.

Eve watched transfixed, unsure what was happening. Slowly he inched his way closer, as if he were afraid she would run. Instead she sat forward in her chair, her heart beating widely. Vincent lowered his head even more, his nose easing towards her. He gave another whine and she knew he wanted her touch.

With a shaking hand she reached out, her fingers just inches from his snout. She hesitated, her hand hovering over his fur. Vincent remained completely still, waiting for her to make the connection. With a deep breath she closed the gap, her fingers stroking along his fur.

He was soft.

Vincent made a pleased sound, something close to a growl. Then he moved closer, lying at her feet, his face now level with her own. She ran her hand timidly through his fur before reaching up and scratching his ear. He pressed against her hand, his eyes sliding shut.

There came a soft noise from the wood, like a snapping twig. Vincent stiffened, his ears perking up as he turned his massive head towards the sound. Then he was on his feet, chasing after the poor creature foolish enough to catch his interest.

Eve stared after him, slightly shaken up. Whatever had just happened had been something profound.

Standing she went back inside the cottage, needing to distract herself and let her body calm. She worked on her potions until the sun began to set. Realizing she'd left her book outside she went back out to retrieve it, just in time to catch Vincent in human form bent beside a tree as he vomited violently.