Chapter Sixteen - The Hunter Meets His Past

AN: Just to recap Grace the Enchanted is the witch from book one. (Chapters 18 and 25 of CODK if you need a refresh.)

The Hunter Meets His Past

Belfast, Ireland

Vincent gripped Evelyn tightly to his side, peering up and down the street nonchalantly. They stood outside a tacky looking tourist shop, Grace's Occult and Witchcraft Goods. A squeaky wooden sign was hanging out front, neon lights and old posters in the windows.

The sky was overcast, the sun fighting to peek out of the grey clouds. Humans bustled by, noses attached to their cell phones, completely unaware that a werewolf was among them. Typical.

"Is it safe?" Eve asked nervously. He knew it was risky bringing her with him, but the very thought of leaving her behind had made him feel physically ill.

Scenting the air he relaxed, taking another quick glance around. His wolf was calm, putting him at ease. "Aye."

Still, he kept a firm grip on his amulet. Even though he and Evelyn wore hooded jackets with scarves covering their faces he was a big man, easily recognized by a member of the Legion. And Evelyn was defenseless. He was ready to teleport them the hell out of there at a moment's notice if anything seemed off in the slightest.

"And, uh, who is this Grace person?" Eve asked.

"She's an old...acquaintance."

Evelyn tensed beside him. "Oh."

He chuckled. "Jealous?"

"No," she scoffed.

"Uh-huh." Leaning down he murmured close to her ear. "Not to worry, angelas, I've never known Grace in that way. She's known me since I was a pup. She was a good friend of my mothers and a member of my pack...for a short time."

"Oh!" Evelyn sighed, relaxing.

Two human females exited the shop, laughing as they toyed with some trinkets. He watched them leave with a frown. Nothing seemed amiss. Why the hell did Grace summon him?

"Come on." Taking Evelyn's hand he pulled her inside. As soon as they entered the shop the scent of incense and herbs assaulted him. He scrunched his nose and snorted.

Evelyn giggled. "What's the matter, big bad wolf, something in your nose?"

Pulling down his scarf he gave her a look, fighting a smile. "You're getting cheeky, girl."

She giggled again, looking around. "This place is neat."

"Wait until you see the real shop." The front of the store was a front for humans, selling trinkets and crystals to tourists with no real magical properties. Hidden in the back was the real shop, where the witch Grace the Enchanted sold items of true mystical value.

As they walked towards the back they passed the shop clerk who managed the front of the store. To any human he would appear as a young man in his early twenties, but Vincent immediately knew he was elven.

The elf's eyes glanced their way, racking over Evelyn as she removed her hood and scarf. Vincent growled in warning, his claws flexing. The elf jumped, stepping behind the counter as if he expected the flimsy wood to shield him.

"My claws would cut through that wood like paper, boy," Vincent snapped. "Keep that in mind the next time your eyes start to stray."

"Yes, sir," the elf mumbled just as Evelyn jabbed him in the ribs.