Chapter Thirty - His Worst Day Ever

AN: I know it seems like I'm busting these chapters out but I'm really not. I've been pecking away at these for the past couple weeks. And don't worry about Vincent not saying the L-word, he's like Han Solo.

His Worst Day Ever

Vincent cursed, sitting up in bed. It was freezing, his breaths coming out in puffs. Rubbing a hand over his face he yawned. His wolf was on edge, pacing within his mind. Irritated he pushed it aside. Judging by the light outside the windows it was just after dawn. 

Way. Too. Fucking. Early.

Reaching over he pulled the blankets over Evelyn's bare shoulders, noticing the goosebumps along her skin. Damn spring weather, one minute warm, the next the ground was covered in ice. Getting up he went to put more wood on the stove, only to realize they were out. "Fuck."

Eve stirred, sitting up gingerly, her eyes heavy with sleep. "What?"

He had to chuckle, walking to the bed and running a hand over the top of her head. She blushed. So adorable. Unable to help himself he leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Fire's out. I need to run outside."

"At this hour?" He heard the tinge of irritation in her voice. Smiling he kissed her hard, savoring her taste. She melted into him immediately, a soft sigh on her lips.

Fuck, yes! 

"Tell me," he rumbled.

Her blush deepened. "I love you."

Pleasure speared through him. He loved hearing those words out of her lips. This woman loved him. His mate. Made just for him. For the first time in his life he knew true happiness.

Smirking he forced himself to pull back. "I'll only be a moment."

Eve grumbled under her breath, putting on her glasses. He had to bite back a grin as she transformed from just woke up sexy to sleepy and cute.

God, he wanted this woman over and over.

Pulling on his trousers he yawned again, scratching his beard as he opened the cottage door. A split second later an arrow dug into his right shoulder. With a curse Vincent ducked back inside, slamming the door and barring it shut.

"Vincent!" Eve ran to him, her hands fluttering around the arrow embedded in his shoulder. "Oh my god...oh my god."

Vincent could have punched himself. How fucking foolish!

"Oh my god," Eve continued to chant, in a near panic.

"I'm alright," he tried to reassure her. "It's nothing. We just need to get it out."

"But someone shot you!" she exclaimed.

"Aye, and they could still be out there." Damn it! He knew not to trust the wards, that an enemy would always find a way in. He'd been so careless. He had no idea of how many were out there, or what enemy they faced. "Get dressed, now."

Eve rushed to comply, stumbling over her own feet. "How did they get past the wards? I don't understand." There came a knock at the door. Eve jumped with a yelp, tugging her dress over her head.

"What do you want?!" Vincent shouted angrily.

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" a muffled voice asked. Fuck, he recognized that voice. Nicholas Storm, that son of a bitch! 

"Vincent..." Eve whimpered.

"Ignore him," he bit out around his teeth.

"I'm waiting," Nicholas called from the other side of the door sounding almost bored.