Chapter Four - Nicholas Storm

Nicholas Storm

Northern Romania, Castle of the Demon King

Crossing his arms Nicholas Storm leaned back against the door-frame with a smirk. Victoria and Jasper were on the couch, shouting to each other as they vigorously pressed buttons on their controllers. On the large flat screen alien hordes attacked in vicious waves.

In the corner of the great room the vampire Charles Lockhart spoke in hushed tones to King Sebastian. Occasionally the two would glance over at their mates on the couch and chuckle with affection. A fire burned in the large hearth, spreading its warmth and soft glow about the room, as snow fell outside the windows.

The scene was odd to him. He supposed that shouldn't surprise him. From boyhood his life had always been focused on his next kill. Whether it was to survive, fight for his King, or for pay, Nicholas had killed more than he could remember. He didn't deny that he relished the fight, the stronger the opponent the better. It was one of the reasons he became a mercenary.

Witnessing such tranquility seemed out of place. For a moment a strange sense of peace fell over him. It was such an unknown sensation he almost didn't recognize it.

"YES! Head shot!" Victoria cried in excitement.

"Nice!" Jasper laughed.

A smile tugged at Nicholas' lips as Victoria pumped her fist into the air in triumph before giving Jasper a high-five. Over the past few days the elven halfling had truly flourished. She radiated with happiness, appearing more and more elvish with each passing day. Her ears were now fully pointed, her dark brown hair rich and wavy. Her coffee colored eyes had taken on an almost glow like quality, apparently an inherent trait of elven royalty. Just to look at her was truly spell binding.

Behind him in the main hall a group of demons and elves laughed with mirth. As soon as the binding on Adora's name - the deceased elven queen and Victoria's mother - had been released demons and elves alike had flocked to the castle to meet their new queen and pledge their allegiance to King Sebastian.

It unnerved him to have so many strangers in the castle, especially with the threat of Gabriel the Mad still very real and prominent in his mind. Despite her recent trials with the Legion Victoria had insisted the castle doors be open to all visitors, and King Sebastian wasn't about to deny his newly claimed mate.

Nicholas couldn't blame him. Even he struggled to say no to the little halfling. Victoria was one of the very few he felt true and deep affection towards. During her time at the castle she had become like a little sister to him. One he wished to spoil and care for. It was rare for him to find such a connection.

To think he'd nearly lost her to the Legion thanks to that damn dog, Vincent Shaw.

Anger flared in his gut. Taking out a cigar he lit it smoothly, not an ounce of the fury he felt reflected in his demeanor. He'd find and kill that fucking prick slowly and painfully.

"Yo' Nicky."

He just stopped himself from sighing. Turning he raised a brow at the she-elf. Mia grinned back at him; her short red hair spiked upward and decorated with little white flowers.

"Mia."

"Always so serious." She rolled her eyes and walked passed him with the grace of a ballerina. He let his eyes wander down her thin and tiny frame with boredom. The she-elf was far too perky for his taste, it bordered on irritating.

"Yo' Queen Tori!" she announced loudly.

Victoria leaned her head back, looking over the back of the couch before lighting up with a bright smile. "Hey, Mia. Wanna kill some aliens?"

"Tempting, but we have to go over your coronation."

"Oh, right." Jumping up Victoria pranced over to Sebastian, giving him a light peck on the cheek. "You coming?"

Reaching up Sebastian ran his thumb over the very clear bite mark on Victoria's neck. Nicholas didn't miss the way the halfling shuddered with pleasure at his touch. "I'll join you shortly, little one."

"Okay." Following Mia into the main hall Victoria gave Nicholas a light pat on the arm.

"We should be going as well," Charles said. "Come, Jasper."

Blushing lightly Jasper obeyed, rubbing one of his horns bashfully when Charles wrapped his arm around the spectral demons waist before the two of them disappeared.

Sighing deeply, King Sebastian approached him. After having spent centuries cursed into his demonic form Nicholas was still growing used to seeing Sebastian as a normal demon. He knew King Sebastian was still growing accustomed to it as well. There were times when the Demon King caught his reflection and almost seemed surprised that a demonic berserker wasn't staring back at him.

Crossing his arms Sebastian glanced out into the main hall as if to check that it was clear before asking, "Any news?"

Nicholas shook his head. "It's as if the wolf has disappeared. There's been no sign of him."

Sebastian frowned, his gold eyes glowing briefly with hidden rage. "He was in bad shape. He must be holed up somewhere. Find him."

"Understood." Nicholas would hunt Vincent to the end of the realms if he had to. "She still doesn't know?"

"No, and I don't want her to."

Nicholas arched one golden brow. "If she finds out she's going to be pissed you kept it from her."

Rubbing the back of his neck Sebastian nodded. "I know. But Victoria has enough to worry about between the elven coronation and the impending war with Gabriel."

Nicholas felt a small thrill race through him at the thought of war. He craved battle, his hand itching to wield his sword. The life of an immortal was so damn tedious. "I'll find him, don't worry," he practically growled.

"I know you will, if anyone can it's you." Scowling Sebastian gave him a hard look. "Don't kill him. I want him brought back here."

Damn. "Can I at least sever a limb or two?"

Sebastian gave him a look.

"Very well," Nicholas relented. Surely, his King wouldn't notice a few missing fingers. "What about Bane?"

"He had to tend to a witch matter with Chloe, but he vowed to return for the coronation. I must have my first in command there." For a moment the Demon King's eyes were full of stress and doubt. "Just concentrate on the wolf for now."

"It might take some time," he warned.

Sebastian nodded. "Just be back for Victoria's coronation. If you miss it she is going to flip."

Smirking, Nicholas took a slow drag of his cigar. "I better work fast then."